Lowered GS..... finally!

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
Cool bro...just pulled the trigger on the ones I posted just since they said they're for the Saloon 2.0 Turbo FWD. I'd put money on it that they're the same spring you got...

Anyways...they were $294 shipped.

I'm going to throw these on with some matte black Giovanna Kilis's and hopefully a 40 series Nitto...think I'll be able to swing that or would I need to go with a 35?

Then I'm going to back out all the accents; front grill, fangs, etc.

I've got the dark grey metallic...it should look good.

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
Cool bro...just pulled the trigger on the ones I posted just since they said they're for the Saloon 2.0 Turbo FWD. I'd put money on it that they're the same spring you got...

Anyways...they were $294 shipped.

I'm going to throw these on with some matte black Giovanna Kilis's and hopefully a 40 series Nitto...think I'll be able to swing that or would I need to go with a 35?

Then I'm going to back out all the accents; front grill, fangs, etc.

I've got the dark grey metallic...it should look good.
40-series? 20? 19?

The stock 20s are 255/35. If you are talking about 255/40 that is going to be some massive sidewall.

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yeah I was thinking 245/40's in a 20x8.5...it looked like there was still a little gap in your ride with those 255/35's but I can't really tell from the pictures you posted earlier in this thread. Would you mind posting a couple close ups of the fender area so we can get a better idea of what yours turned out like as far as wheel gap goes?

Last edited:

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
I just ordered the 28998-1 too (for 2.0T Saloon). Excited! Ill post up some pics of the results.

Hell yeah...I'm having the guys at the preformance shop up at the local dealership put mine one that way I know they get put on right. I once had a shop put on some springs incorrectly and didn't find out about it til way later. They said depending on how the springs go in there they may be able to shave a little of the back springs; maybe like a quarter to half inch to really level it out. These guys really know what they're doing so I'll just wait and see what they have to say once they get it up.

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
I tried to find out the difference between the 28998-1 and the 28998-5 kits. It looks like -5 is "front axle up to 1160kg" and -1 is "1161kg+"

I'm guessing for any added weight between a 1.6/1.8 and the 2.0T?

http://www.vxperformance.com/h-and-r-20-30mm-lowering-springs-insignia-hatch-saloon-2wd-08.html

Dunno man but that 2.0 Turbo FWD Saloon is the GS so I'm assuming they're the ones we want...either those or the ones GTXgp got.

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
I was wondering if I should of emailed them and told me to send the 5's. They didn't ship yet maybe I will do that. I doubt there's any difference between the two. Hmm. So going back to the whole 245/40/20 thing...think I can swing it with those lowering springs. I can't really tell how much room was left in your wheel wells from the pics you put up earlier in the thread.

EDIT: I shot them over an email about this and this is the response I received...

"Hi Craig,

I am not sure who has informed you of that but they are wrong, There is only one Insignia engine that is not 4 cylinder and that is the VXR (2.8T 4WD) and they have completely different springs to the others.

The springs you have sent me the link for are for the 1.6, 1.6T & 1.8 that we have over here. I believe that Buick doesn't use these engines in the US. The UK has become obsessed with emissions and fuel consumption in recent years unfortunately and we have some smaller engine cars than you guys in the US. Obviously the smaller engines weigh less so that kit is for them. I believe that the smallest you guys have is the 2.0T so the springs you have ordered are correct.

They will be with us here on Monday and we will then get them shipped over to you. I have had this conversation with another customer from New York State who has ordered them for his 2.0T Buick Regal as well.

Kind Regards,

Graeme Johnston

Managing Director

GNJ Motorsport Ltd"

Last edited:

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
I was wondering if I should of emailed them and told me to send the 5's. They didn't ship yet maybe I will do that. I doubt there's any difference between the two. Hmm. So going back to the whole 245/40/20 thing...think I can swing it with those lowering springs. I can't really tell how much room was left in your wheel wells from the pics you put up earlier in the thread.

EDIT: I shot them over an email about this and this is the response I received...

"Hi Craig,

I am not sure who has informed you of that but they are wrong, There is only one Insignia engine that is not 4 cylinder and that is the VXR (2.8T 4WD) and they have completely different springs to the others.

The springs you have sent me the link for are for the 1.6, 1.6T & 1.8 that we have over here. I believe that Buick doesn't use these engines in the US. The UK has become obsessed with emissions and fuel consumption in recent years unfortunately and we have some smaller engine cars than you guys in the US. Obviously the smaller engines weigh less so that kit is for them. I believe that the smallest you guys have is the 2.0T so the springs you have ordered are correct.

They will be with us here on Monday and we will then get them shipped over to you. I have had this conversation with another customer from New York State who has ordered them for his 2.0T Buick Regal as well.

Kind Regards,

Graeme Johnston

Managing Director

GNJ Motorsport Ltd"
Well I guess we will see, he says the 5's won't fit but mine clearly do ;)

You also have to keep in mind that we have the VXR front suspension while the regular Insignia doesn't :p

As for tires, I don't personally care whether they "fit" or not, 255/40 is too much sidewall for my taste on this car.

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
We have the VXR front suspension? That's interesting. Does the "regular" 2.0T Saloon (ie. Buick Regal turbo) have HiPer strut? Maybe that's what he means?

I know the GS is lowered 0.4" compared to a "normal" Regal, so does that mean it has different springs?

I'm going to do the -1 (I'm the guy in NYS that Graeme mentioned) and see where we are.

Ideally, you think we need the VXR fronts and 2.0T rears?

Last edited:

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
We have the VXR front suspension? That's interesting. Does the "regular" 2.0T Saloon (ie. Buick Regal turbo) have HiPer strut? Maybe that's what he means?

I know the GS is lowered 0.4" compared to a "normal" Regal, so does that mean it has different springs?

I'm going to do the -1 (in the guy in NYS that Graeme mentioned) and see where we are.

Ideally, you think we need the VXR fronts and 2.0T rears?

Dude I have no idea...I'm hoping these work out. I'm staying with the 1's as well. I'm thinking there's not much of a difference between the two.

GTXgp

Las Colinas (DFW), TX
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
It looks like -5 is "front axle up to 1160kg" and -1 is "1161kg+"
Unfortunately it has been months since I did my initial research but I finally remembered why I went with the -5.... if you look at the door sticker, our front axle is 1112kg. That would mean -5 ;)

I would say worst case, -1 is a little stiffer.

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thnx bro...I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Sidenote: What do you think of these on a dark metallic grey gs? Thinking hard about blacking out the whole front end & the two exhaust trimmings then color matching the door handles & the silver piece on the trunk (but leaving the silver trim around the windows). I'd probably smoke the taillights out too...

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
I just put something pretty similar on my car for winter...

5a2475226be192501e8bacb51e9a0679.jpg

Now you can see why I jumped on the springs! Those 19" wheels really open up that wheelwell gap.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!