Lowered GS..... finally!

FatherDeth

7.0L LS7 Member
Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
88 Espirit, I'm down at Ft. Dix, NJ. Would you be willing to help me tackle this job? I don't think it'd be a long drive for me. Since I sold my home in Florida Inhave no place to really work on my car. And I hate using the auto hobby shops on base for anything but oil changes.

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
88 Espirit, I'm down at Ft. Dix, NJ. Would you be willing to help me tackle this job? I don't think it'd be a long drive for me. Since I sold my home in Florida Inhave no place to really work on my car. And I hate using the auto hobby shops on base for anything but oil changes.

Did you order your springs yet?

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
No, this wouldn't be a anytime soon project for me. Unfortunately my work is my life right now. I just like to get my options out, and since I'm close to L I, 88 would be the man to help me.

Well just keep in mind it'll take about a month to get them once you put your order in. They make them to order since they're not in high demand.

playbak01

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hummus are you running the exact same H&R springs as Craig & 88E5? or you got coils?
Reason I ask is you definitely have a more even ride height...could be the shot angle
I'm trying to avoid the reverse rake look.

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hummus are you running the exact same H&R springs as Craig & 88E5? or you got coils?
Reason I ask is you definitely have a more even ride height...could be the shot angle

Yeah we're all running the same springs...some of us maybe running the -5's and some of us be running the -1's in which there is practically no difference whatsoever except one is rated to carry an additional 5lbs or something like that. This is as low as it gets. We looked into cutting a little more off of mine but there was no way. I suggest going with a 40 series tire with 20's to help fill in more of the leftover gap as well as give you a better ride. I hate my 255/35/20s...definitley should have gotten the 40.

JJhummus

Beavercreek, Ohio
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac

I am actually running the AWD springs. When I ordered mine, we couldn't find the FWD w/active suspension part number. So when the springs came in we adapted the rears to work as the AWD car has pockets for the springs to sit in and the FWD has the little nubs to locate them. I machined up two nylon rings to locate the springs correctly on the nubs. The AWD spring had 4 dead coils to take up the space, so we cut them off and that equated to the stance you see. With the 20mm spacers, the car sits really nice and fat with almost perfect wheel well gap. So, I guess they are not an exact fit... But one I am happy with. The car turns heads everywhere with it as low as it is.

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
I am actually running the AWD springs. When I ordered mine, we couldn't find the FWD w/active suspension part number. So when the springs came in we adapted the rears to work as the AWD car has pockets for the springs to sit in and the FWD has the little nubs to locate them. I machined up two nylon rings to locate the springs correctly on the nubs. The AWD spring had 4 dead coils to take up the space, so we cut them off and that equated to the stance you see. With the 20mm spacers, the car sits really nice and fat with almost perfect wheel well gap. So, I guess they are not an exact fit... But one I am happy with. The car turns heads everywhere with it as low as it is.

Could you post some close ups of your wheel gap? I'm curious to see the difference. I can't really tell from the pics you posted...

playbak01

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick

Nicely done, thanks for the details!

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
The car may have settled another "half of a finger width" since installing them; I'm still happy with them, but i also think the springs for the "lighter car" (1.6, 1.8L) would be the way to go for anyone else that wants to do this. They may not be as stiff or perform as well as the "correct" springs that I installed, but it might sit just a tad lower than these springs for the 2.0T.

And I just got a US customs bill from UPS for $12. WTF, shouldn't the shipper have paid for that?

JJhummus

Beavercreek, Ohio
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac
I'll try and get some other pics soon. My wife sync'd my phone last night and all the photos are gone from the phone (still have them on the home Mac). Give me a couple days and I'll get a couple more up. As far as I know, I'm the only one with the AWD springs as I believe everyone else runs the FWD springs. My car is a little stiffer too as I find myself using the SPORT mode constantly.

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
Guys...I recommend going with the springs we're running and going with a 40 series tire. Lowering obviously makes for a stiffer ride and the bigger tire will not only help fill in any residual gap but also offer a softer ride.

JJhummus

Beavercreek, Ohio
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac
I agree that no one should do what I did... But if you want 40 series tires and a softer ride, sounds like you should have bought a Regal Turbo, not a GS...

xXCraigerzXx

Buick Ownership
Buick
I agree that no one should do what I did... But if you want 40 series tires and a softer ride, sounds like you should have bought a Regal Turbo, not a GS...

Nope. I should of bought a GS and I'm glad I did. I had the stock 19's on my car before I put my new 20's on there and it came with 40 series on there. The difference in the sidewall is miniscule but it would help fill in the little bit of wheel gap leftover after the drop. It's riding a little smoother would just be icing on the cake.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!