• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Short lived TourX

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
For me to compare my purchase: apples to apples would be to compare the Insignia Country Tourer w/8sp transmission and 4x4 to the Regal TourX

On the Opel website I'm currently at (before adding any packages beyond leather)
€45,715 = $51,074

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
My new off the lot cost: $29,950 w 43 miles and the full warranty.

2018 6/18 manufacture date Essence trim D1+D2 packages ($39995 sticker price)
mine was 29000 even with 155 miles on it bought March 1 of this year......for a GS

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
sounds like you got a great deal yet I get the impression you're not very happy with your purchase.

:)
I only wish it had the options that the car actually came with originally.......not the water downed version.......the GS is supposed to be fully loaded.......yet having driving the original version, I know it is not.....kind of irks me that the germans had a great car and GM totally screwed it up.

by virtue of my job I know what it takes to change something that is already mass produced, so I know that it cost GM money to have what was already in place to have them changed over to what they wanted and by doing that it cost them money so in the end, I have a feeling that they are loosing money when they could have had a winner by leaving the german model alone and just adjust the engines available!

e2m

Michigan
by virtue of my job I know what it takes to change something that is already mass produced, so I know that it cost GM money to have what was already in place to have them changed over to what they wanted and by doing that it cost them money
This car is sold in a lot of markets, including many Asian countries. I wouldn't be surprised if GM already had a watered down version in their parts bin somewhere and didn't have to do much to come up with the US version.

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
This car is sold in a lot of markets, including many Asian countries. I wouldn't be surprised if GM already had a watered down version in their parts bin somewhere and didn't have to do much to come up with the US version.
Nope the Asians get the fully loaded version. it seems that the US is the only market with the half ass set up

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Volkswagen and Audi do the same thing.

I’ve wanted a 4motion TDI wagon for 15 years... They are everywhere all over Europe, but never offered here. Hell, there were 3 different power levels of TDIs offered in 2003 where the US only got the most gutless model. I’ve learned to live with it and be thankful it was even an option in the first place.

This car hits such a niche segment of buyers that I understand why they didn’t bring the super expensive top dog model. GM would have made it a 60k car.

This thread has become quite a bummer. You always this mad?

e2m

Michigan
Nope the Asians get the fully loaded version. [/MEDIA]
China gets the nice version because Buick is perceived as a luxury brand there.

But Opel Insignia is available in a lot of different versions in other countries. Some of these versions are fairly basic... 1.5-liter engine, 17 inch wheels, no central locking, etc.

Last edited:

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
Volkswagen and Audi do the same thing.

I’ve wanted a 4motion TDI wagon for 15 years... They are everywhere all over Europe, but never offered here. Hell, there were 3 different power levels of TDIs offered in 2003 where the US only got the most gutless model. I’ve learned to live with it and be thankful it was even an option in the first place.

This car hits such a niche segment of buyers that I understand why they didn’t bring the super expensive top dog model. GM would have made it a 60k car.

This thread has become quite a bummer. You always this mad?
Only when GM fucks up a perfectly good car!

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
Just because you came across a fully loaded version doesn't mean that a more bare bones version doesn't exist there.
The fully loaded version of Regal is sold in China under the Buick brand because it's perceived as a luxury brand there. The much less loaded version is also sold there as Opel Insignia.
clearly did not follow the thread!.......i was talking about the GS!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
This car is sold in a lot of markets, including many Asian countries. I wouldn't be surprised if GM already had a watered down version in their parts bin somewhere and didn't have to do much to come up with the U version.
Only familiar with TourX and I think it is a great car, for the price of a Chevy without AWD.
GM has not owned Opel since before production started on TourX. So other then engine it is PSA and becoming more PSA.

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
Only familiar with TourX and I think it is a great car, for the price of a Chevy without AWD.
GM has not owned Opel since before production started on TourX. So other then engine it is PSA and becoming more PSA.
I do like the TourX especially the look......it is sleek......better looking than any other station wagon, in my opinion

Pathy01

Yes, and again, that car fully loaded in Europe costs 50K EUR. Who would pay this kind of money for a Buick in the US when they could have an Audi or BMW for similar amount?
This is exactly it. They knew they wouldn't sell it here if it was a 60k USD car. They get the fully featured GS in the UK, problem is it starts at 54k GBP or 70k USD dollars. Since the GS is truly just a trim level on the Insiginia, there was no big development cost to decontent it a bit, it was simply a different variation, of which the manufacturing process was already setup to handle very easily. The car is not messed up from the euro version as most of the additional features don't change how the car functions, just add more fluff.

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
Yes, and again, that car fully loaded in Europe costs 50K EUR. Who would pay this kind of money for a Buick in the US when they could have an Audi or BMW for similar amount?
and again you are comparing two completely different markets: ie income and tax rate; no to mention the rework to switch from production of X to Xy....I guess you are not a manufacturing guy and not familiar with cost of work/Change.......so going along your thought process the car GM designed for the this market at 45k yet selling them at 30ish.......when you could have left the fluff and sold them as competitors that are closer matched to it and not lose as much money!.......I agree to disagree with you on this

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I tend to agree with Lt0302 on this one. If they didn't have different wiring harnesses, programming for modules etc etc then maybe cutting features could have been a cost savings thing. But I am really surprised they went through the effort for this vehicle since they knew it would never sell big volumes. Doing all this design work really only makes sense if you can move a lot units. Now their pricing goes up since they are splitting their PO's to multiple different P/N's which means they also have to stock multiple different parts. Not to mention they then have to develop their own troubleshooting since systems are different. All of this costs money.

Do I think they could have sold a fully loaded version here at 50k. No, not likely. But I think they could have done a lot less watering down of the EU product and maybe sold these closer to the MSRP. Depending on options they chose it probably would have added maybe 2k in cost.

Pathy01

Do you guys not acknowledge that there are other models for their domestic market that have less content? The wiring harnesses, programming, etc has already been developed, not to mention the cost of actual physical components. The specific changes for U.S. market regulations were required regardless of feature content. What design work are you guys referring to in order to give us a mid-level content for things that already exist. It's not like every Insignia included all these features, most of them don't.

The problem with thinking more content would have sold the cars closer to sticker price is that anyone buying a GM product knows that huge discounts off MSRP are the norm and 20% is a reasonable target price. It's the same whether you're buying a Malibu or a Corvette or an Escalade. Without good marketing, which I think we can all agree GM did not produce for these cars, there simply are not enough people interested in the car, much less walking into a showroom, much less buying for anywhere near sticker price. Anecdotally it seems for most who have purchased, the big discounts were a driving force to get us to even look at the cars. Before the big discounts, most of these cars were languishing on lots sucking floorpan costs from the dealers.

Pedal Commander