Short lived TourX

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
True, the Sportback generates almost no interest. I saw it on the dealer's lot a silver 2018 and it didn't have much "charisma". I much prefer the looks of the previous Regal sedan.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
How come there is so little interest in the Sportback compared to the TourX?
I agree with Mike, it seems like the TourX folks are just a lot more passionate than Sportback people. From what I read on some sales figures and saw in some company official demos in reviews, I got the impression that more Sportbacks were expected to be sold vs. TourX for '18. But maybe those people just aren't the car forum types so we don't hear from as many of them? Who knows. I enjoy reading Sportback threads too, I wish there were more of them.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
New 2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
You can buy a lot of Buick for the money!
Actually I meant to say as of now, TourX would be my first choice in 2026, ha. But heck yeah on the value of TourX. I guess we'll see it if it's being made in 2026. Good to know PSA is coming here, I'd guess by that time the SUV obsession may be waning and maybe they'll just bring that nice estate here, too. One can hope, anyway!

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
What a pleasant surprise to see no badmouthing of French Cars. Although I've not visited France since the 508 was introduced, I loved trips around France in my favorite, the Peugeot 607. Love that car. Also have leased Renault Laguna. Also a great car but not as beautiful as the 607. (They dont make either model anymore). Although I did not lease the 607, owned by a friend, I always lease my Renaults from;
Www.RenaultUSA.com
Leased from Renault six times and never had any problems with either the car, or the process.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
True, the Sportback generates almost no interest. I saw it on the dealer's lot a silver 2018 and it didn't have much "charisma". I much prefer the looks of the previous Regal sedan.
True. No charisma or a better way to put it, NO SNAP.

I'm not a fan of "fastback" cars. A few months ago, I test drove a Kia Stinger, a fastback type car. Very poor rear view visibility out that slanted fastback window. The Buick may or may not be different.

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
How come there is so little interest in the Sportback compared to the TourX?
The TourX is almost the same car but with more functionality and (IMO) more character in spite of the cladding. Although I like the Sportback better than typical sedans, the fact that the US gets an AWD wagon choice is a friggin' miracle.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
18 TourX Essence with mid year upgrade. LOVE this car. I am a former SAAB dealer and can say that the car has a ton of SAAB feel to it. Great job GM Opel, now GM get to work and properly market this car, give the SUV commercials a well deserved break! Having not seen another one in 3 months, I feel I should be able to bill GM for marketing. Wherever i go, people comment and i end up telling them all about the car. 5400 miles and no issues. Would love to rebadge into an Insignia with the Sport rear bumper. Any ideas where these parts can be located?
Pop the hood and look at the headlight connector...you'll feel at home.

WeLikeIt

North Carolina
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX, 2003 Century, 1989 Regal
42 here, wife is about to turn 40. 2 kids, and we already have an Envoy. Traded our Century sedan in for the TourX. The century had been a gramma hand-me-down, but it served its purpose for us for 5 years. I feel like the century fit every Buick stereotype, slow, boring, not really visually appealing... but it was a good car. Searching for a new car we kept running into mini SUVs, or tiny cars. After the couch type ride of the Century for long trips, we didnt want a sporty little (whatever) where we felt every little crack in the road. The TourX, so far, seems to ride very comfortably, but accelerate much faster than the century, and take corners and lane changes with almost zero body roll, making it a LOT more fun. And the huge rear end, eats up all our gear for long family road trips.

To quote my dad... "That's gotta be the best looking wagon I've ever seen."

I agree. If Subaru would get the hint and stop giving people nosebleeds, and add some comfy seats and a smoother ride... they might have had me as a buyer. The front seats of the Subaru are ok, but the back seats remind me of plywood with a blanket. No dice for long rides. Dont mean to bash Subaru, my mother owns one and loves it. But they never sit in back!

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Picked up a '19 TourX yesterday. Traded a '17 Subaru Forester XT for it. The Subi was stone reliable at almost 60K mile, never took it to the dealer for anything other than regular service which Subaru comes with and some tires. But very unrefined, even though I had the Touring version fully loaded out. Seats were terrible, honestly I'd have kept it longer if the seats were better. Anyway before the Subi I'm coming from a long line of Saabs since 1999, 2 of which I still have. The TourX, as others have indicated, feels very Saablike so I feel at home. As most have also noted, Buick missed an opportunity not offering some more upscale options for the TourX that are available in Europe, I was waiting for them to do so but at this point it looks like that isn't going to happen so I decided to just do it. Everything else I was considering was going to be at least $15K more than the Buick. Oh...and I'm 52.

Last edited:

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Picked up a '19 TourX yesterday. Traded a '17 Subaru Forester XT for it. The Subi was stone reliable at almost 60K mile, never took it to the dealer for anything other than regular service which Subaru comes with and some tires. But very unrefined, even though I had the Touring version fully loaded out. Seats were terrible, honestly I'd have kept it longer if the seats were better. Anyway before the Subi I'm coming from a long line of Saabs since 1999, 2 of which I still have. The TourX, as others have indicated, feels very Saablike so I feel at home. As most have also noted, Buick missed an opportunity not offering some more upscale options for the TourX that are available in Europe, I was waiting for them to do so but at this point it looks like that isn't going to happen so I decided to just do it. Everything else I was considering was going to be at least $15K more than the Buick. Oh...and I'm 52.
Very similar shopping experience as mine. I literally could not find a better value...I suppose wanting a wagon makes for a pretty short list. I also wish Buick didn’t “de-content” our version, but I am happy to have it. Welcome!

RConrad

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Picked up a '19 TourX yesterday. Traded a '17 Subaru Forester XT for it. The Subi was stone reliable at almost 60K mile, never took it to the dealer for anything other than regular service which Subaru comes with and some tires. But very unrefined, even though I had the Touring version fully loaded out. Seats were terrible, honestly I'd have kept it longer if the seats were better. Anyway before the Subi I'm coming from a long line of Saabs since 1999, 2 of which I still have. The TourX, as others have indicated, feels very Saablike so I feel at home. As most have also noted, Buick missed an opportunity not offering some more upscale options for the TourX that are available in Europe, I was waiting for them to do so but at this point it looks like that isn't going to happen so I decided to just do it. Everything else I was considering was going to be at least $15K more than the Buick.
Picked up a '19 Tourx yesterday as well. We looked at Volvo as an alternative and just couldn't justify spending that much more money for the Volvo.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Congrats on your new TourX and welcome!!!

witzgall

Buick Ownership
nothing yet
HI all, first post here. We just discovered the Tour-x last week. A dealer has a red Essence 2018 with sunroom and sound, but neither of the packages. They had a big sales sticker for just under $29k. After driving it (we both liked it alot) and doing some research, we would want one that is fully loaded with sunroof, upgraded stereo and both packages. I have found some like that online. The discount on the one was drove was just shy of 25% off MSRP.

So my question is, what kind of discount should I shoot for/expect at this time? Could I get closer to 30%? Wishful thinking?

He offered to try and get one from another dealer, but we have not talked $$$ yet, so I don't know if that would drive up the price vs. going to the dealer with the car.

Chris

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
HI all, first post here. We just discovered the Tour-x last week. A dealer has a red Essence 2018 with sunroom and sound, but neither of the packages. They had a big sales sticker for just under $29k. After driving it (we both liked it alot) and doing some research, we would want one that is fully loaded with sunroof, upgraded stereo and both packages. I have found some like that online. The discount on the one was drove was just shy of 25% off MSRP.

So my question is, what kind of discount should I shoot for/expect at this time? Could I get closer to 30%? Wishful thinking?

He offered to try and get one from another dealer, but we have not talked $$$ yet, so I don't know if that would drive up the price vs. going to the dealer with the car.

Chris
Tough to say...it seems pricing is very dependent on dealer and region. In my area dealers don't seem to want to deal much. I spoke to a few that had 18's and they suggested I buy a 19 since they had more promotions.

Pathy01

Chris
You're probably not gonna get as good of a deal if they have to do a dealer trade on it. The big discounts are due to the dealers wanting to get aged inventory sold and off the lot so they don't continue paying to floorpan it. If they have to get it from another dealer, that incentive isn't there and although you should be able to get a good deal, it probably won't be as good as on something they are trying to move that's been costing them money to sit on the lot. Depending on the distance, you may be better off trying to negotiate with the dealer who has what you want. I ended up getting my TourX from my 7th nearest dealer.

witzgall

Buick Ownership
nothing yet
I ended up going to my 2/3 closest dealer last night, and we bought a 2018 in Smoked Pearl. It was not my most pleasant dealer experience, but it could have been worse, I will detail in a seperate post.

Chris

You're probably not gonna get as good of a deal if they have to do a dealer trade on it. The big discounts are due to the dealers wanting to get aged inventory sold and off the lot so they don't continue paying to floorpan it. If they have to get it from another dealer, that incentive isn't there and although you should be able to get a good deal, it probably won't be as good as on something they are trying to move that's been costing them money to sit on the lot. Depending on the distance, you may be better off trying to negotiate with the dealer who has what you want. I ended up getting my TourX from my 7th nearest dealer.

Holiday

Parkville, MO
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tourx
We picked up a carryover '18 for my wife in Kansas City on Monday night. Essence trim, pano sunroof, both drivers confidence package in White Frost. We also scored a 2/3 discount from the sticker.

The wife had planned to upgrade to the new Volvo V60. However, Volvo decided only cross country models will have AWD for 2020 in the US. The 2019 V60 run was extremely small; no deals to be found. I'm happy to pay under $30k for fully loaded over what a new Volvo would have cost!

Pathy01

Congrats!

What is a 2/3 discount?
I'm guessing he means he paid 2/3 of MSRP. Using round numbers on a full loaded Essence that would be 28k on a 42k sticker which sounds pretty near the under 30k. That would be a 1/3 discount rather than 2/3 so probably just a little misspeak on the math.