• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Short lived TourX

landsharkmz3

I don't totally disagree there, but the fact that GM/Buick decided to line up the trim levels with the Subaru Outback XT (and put the plastic cladding on it, too) means they had a key demographic in mind that's a bit different than most wagon buyers.

On the pricey end, you get the Mercedes E-class wagon, the Volvo V90, then V60, the BMW 3-series wagon, and Audi Allroad which all still exist. The VW Sportwagen and Alltrack are being discontinued. If you look at brand research, the buyers of the wagons often have the highest household income of brand customers.

I personally think Buick was a bit foolish to line it up against the Outback XT - they should have lined it up as a more reasonably priced alternative to the Luxury brand wagons. Less focus on the sporty/outdoorsy, and more on the practical comfort. As such, it seems like a mistake to make leather available on the Essence trim only.
GM seems to have even tapped into some of the enthusiast base, which doesn't seem like it was intentional. I think it attracts some of the enthusiasts because the car is fairly unique, and isn't another carbon copy SUV like everyone else drives.

I would looooove an E450 4MATIC Wagon, but I am not going to spend that much on a car, and I am not going to spend that much on repairs. The Mercs are nice, but I would only get a CPO with plenty of coverage.

Bamcrockett

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Never seen a Tourx — except mine.
Big issue is complete lack of marketing. It will be gone in a couple years - don’t care- it fits my needs. If I want off road I take my Jeep. Let’s face it - the CUvV or whatever craze has a way to go.View attachment 17344

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
GM seems to have even tapped into some of the enthusiast base, which doesn't seem like it was intentional. I think it attracts some of the enthusiasts because the car is fairly unique, and isn't another carbon copy SUV like everyone else drives.

I would looooove an E450 4MATIC Wagon, but I am not going to spend that much on a car, and I am not going to spend that much on repairs. The Mercs are nice, but I would only get a CPO with plenty of coverage.
You're absolutely right on the 'accidental' market - I'm one of those buyers, and it's only because of my enthusiasm and wagon appreciation that this was on my radar. Buick hasn't had anything else I've even wanted to look at in decades. Yes, I traded in an older (2008) Outback for the TourX, but there was zero chance I was buying a new Outback with the direction they've gone. I'm adamant that I don't want to sit high up, and since I don't live in a city, I have no need for a short vehicle like almost all the other crossovers/hatchbacks offer.

The only other car that came close to tempting me was the Acura TSX wagon, but it was frustratingly overpriced for the 201HP 4-cyl FWD 5sp automatic-only drivetrain, and like most Acuras they tuned the engine to require premium (not just recommended). And like most wagons, the used market value didn't come down as much as other commonplace cars to where it'd be a reasonable compromise. Otherwise, I was looking at used Allroads, maybe a used 3 series wagon, or an Alltrack/Sportwagen. The used Merc E wagons, even with heavy depreciation, were still too much $$ for me, even if I didn't mind the maintenance! Would be nice, though.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Thought of 2 other wagons now available, but they are niche and super expensive:
1) Jaguar Sportbrake
2) Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo

I've seen a few of the Porsches in my area, never the Jag.

landsharkmz3

I had a Jaguar XF Wagon as a rental in Germany a few years ago. I got in, and really liked it. About 20 minutes later on my way out of Frankfurt, I was doing 120mph down the autobahn when it threw a code and went into limp mode. It completely pulled power on me as I was in the left lane passing people. I had to quickly work my way right and get off the road and wait for a tow truck.

I like the styling, but I certainly would not own one.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
I have no personal experience with most of the other premium wagons, with one notable exception: The Cadillac CTS-V wagon. Good friend of mine bought one (6sp manual) in the summer of 2015, and I drove with him to go pick it up. (Washington D.C. to Arkansas and back). So I got plenty of miles in the driver's seat with it. He still currently has it, and while it hasn't been flawless, nothing serious has gone wrong with it. While it is a bit limited on cargo space compared to the TourX, having 556HP makes you forget about that really quickly.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
2 year old but interesting photoshop of a Malibu into a wagon. If GM really wanted to do it and build it here they obviously could. Would the wagon sell better as a Chevy? The brand is lower on the totem pole but not by much and has no blue hair baggage to deal with. I'd be concerned it'd go too budget with hard plastic everywhere but Chevy is doing some pretty nice interiors nowadays.

2017 Chevrolet Malibu Wagon Rendering Needs to Happen

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I would not be caught dead in a Chevy, thank God they aren't classy enough to make into a hearse.

JackRydden224

The Subaru Outback has pretty good sales figures over the last few years so I think there is definitely a market for wagons. BMW also sold a 3 series wagon with the last generation of F30s. Buick has two problems, one is quality, the car just isn't premium and the other is marketing because people don't even know a Tourx exist LOL

It feels like the Regal is going the way of Saab and the Chevy SS death by mismanagement. Go after Subaru and the other mainstreams w/o AWD.

landsharkmz3

The Subaru Outback has pretty good sales figures over the last few years so I think there is definitely a market for wagons. BMW also sold a 3 series wagon with the last generation of F30s. Buick has two problems, one is quality, the car just isn't premium and the other is marketing because people don't even know a Tourx exist LOL

It feels like the Regal is going the way of Saab and the Chevy SS death by mismanagement. Go after Subaru and the other mainstreams w/o AWD.
Subaru has been converting itself into a more mainstream manufacturer for a while now, which I am not a fan of (even though they have more market share and now). I liked them when they were more niche. Up to 2009, it was a Subaru Legacy Outback. It was a wagon. I was driving a WRX and almost bought one when we started having kids. For 2010, the new model dropped the Legacy name and converted from Wagon to SUV. It won 2010 Motortrend SUV of the Year. That's when sales took off for the Outback. It's a decent vehicle, but there area couple problems. It still feels cheap inside to me. The other issue is that is hasn't seen major overhauls in the last 9 years; its pretty long in the tooth.

I know some people come to the TourX instead of an Outback, but not me. I came as a low cost alternative to the V90 and E450.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Subaru has been converting itself into a more mainstream manufacturer for a while now, which I am not a fan of (even though they have more market share and now). I liked them when they were more niche. Up to 2009, it was a Subaru Legacy Outback. It was a wagon. I was driving a WRX and almost bought one when we started having kids. For 2010, the new model dropped the Legacy name and converted from Wagon to SUV. It won 2010 Motortrend SUV of the Year. That's when sales took off for the Outback. It's a decent vehicle, but there area couple problems. It still feels cheap inside to me. The other issue is that is hasn't seen major overhauls in the last 9 years; its pretty long in the tooth.

I know some people come to the TourX instead of an Outback, but not me. I came as a low cost alternative to the V90 and E450.
The 2020 Outback will be all new vehicle, from the looks of it the cheapness factor may be a thing of the past on the interior with upper trims and now it will come with an optional turbo engine. It may be worth considering one somewhere down the line if they have really refined it. Subaru has a strong community and a ton of aftermarket support and pretty decent factory support - there is no danger of the Subaru becoming an orphan vehicle like the TourX will probably become.

I came from a Forester XT Touring trim (before that a 2011 Saab 9-5). The Forester XT was fast but was a let down as far as refinement goes and horrible seats. I was probably spoiled by a long line of Saabs before that which were really good cars to me. I didn't consider the current Outback to replace the Forester, too much of the same thing. I wanted the TourX from first time I read about it. In fact I should have waited a year and went straight to the TourX. I love my TourX and would do it again in a heartbeat. It isn't perfect, there are a handful of things I wish it could be had with (in the US) that a car of this class should be available with (vented seats for one) but it has good bones.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence

Most Expensive 2020 Subaru Outback Costs $48,456
Might actually be nicer than my $25K TourX, but I'll keep the change, thank you.
Edit, I Just read the article, Fake news. But those roof racks sure add up!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

Chevy SS had a ton of publicity with Nascar, Pontiac G8 outsold it with no publicity!
Pontiac got no help from GM compared to Chevy...
If Chevy had stayed a cheap 6 cyl only division, Olds Pontiac and other divisions would be thriving.
The mistake of getting rid of the vastly better Pontiac engine...and using the weak Chevy engines started GM's fall to a bankrupt shell of it's former self.

landsharkmz3

Most Expensive 2020 Subaru Outback Costs $48,456
Might actually be nicer than my $25K TourX, but I'll keep the change, thank you.
Edit, I Just read the article, Fake news. But those roof racks sure add up!
Yep, if you take the 2020 (which is a big step up from the 2019) and get the very top model, you are in it for $40k. That is $9k more than I paid for a fully loaded out TourX (minus pano, didn't want it). I don't expect Subaru to deeply discount the Outback to get them off the lot like GM has had to do.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Yep, if you take the 2020 (which is a big step up from the 2019) and get the very top model, you are in it for $40k. That is $9k more than I paid for a fully loaded out TourX (minus pano, didn't want it). I don't expect Subaru to deeply discount the Outback to get them off the lot like GM has had to do.
In 2014 I paid nearly as much for our Forest "Premium" 6MT as I did for my TourX Essence. I try to drive it as much as I can stand being bored, just to remind me hour nice and quick the TourX is and how downright evil my Cobra is. Getting a few grand off the MSRP on a Subaru is tough.
PS those cheap cloth seats with zero lateral or thigh support are fairly comfortable, but sure do suck big time. I suspect the 2020's will go for MSRP or close for a while.