• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Short lived TourX

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
My shopping list requirements : low roof (easy to load a kayak) and AWD (dirt roads and New York winters) and wagon (big lockable cargo for theater roadcases). Previous cars were 1998 Outback (when they were lower) and 2006 BMW 5 wagon (no longer available in the US). Same as others noted, this round's candidates included the VW sportwagen and maybe the Volvo, but that was too luxury for my tastes. And yeah, I'm one of those anti-crowd-followers who would rather drive something different. TourX website ads are showing 30-something outdoorsies, just like Subaru does. I'm 52 so I'm not mountainbiking and basejumping, but I still like the outdoors.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
When Mini Vans were all the rage I fought the trend and bought an '86 Ford Taurus Wagon and then an '89 Mercury Sable Wagon both with the 3rd rear seat until I had to go with a mini van due to room and 4 kids. When the mini van craze subsided I went into my first SUV, a Honda Pilot, then a few RAV4's. When I first saw the TourX I knew it was inevitable but the price held me back until the recent incentives.

I would expect Buick to drop this vehicle as well once the deal with Opel/ Puegeot is over. It looks like Puegeot has a version of this car running around as well in Europe. All-new Peugeot 508 SW Estate | Peugeot UK

OldWhiteChevy

I think I’ve seen only one or two of them on the roads of western NY, and Buffalo is a big GM town. There are Enclaves, Encores and LaCrosses everywhere but hardly any of the TourX and even fewer Sportbacks.

The possibility that GM will dump the Buick brand is the main reason that I’m feeling a bit reluctant to buy an Encore instead of a Trax or Equinox.

OldWhiteChevy

I think you've mostly nailed it. One of the few reasons (some) automotive reviewers or mags say the Outback is better is that it has more ground clearance. Okay...if that's so important, get an actual SUV lol. Then it also gets pointed out that the base price is lower... but what gets left out is that the base engine in the Outback is much weaker.
And Subaru dealers always nickel and dime you to death with accessories.

DasWagen

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour x
46 here, but this is my second Buick. I was 19 when I bought my first...an 81 Regal whe I was in high school. It was black with Grand National wheels and (almost) looked like a GN.

Wife loves a wagon. Happy to be turning in the Grand Cherokee lease and picking up our black tour x Dec 26. I've only seen a handful in the area, and I'm in metro Detroit. Outside of China there's more Buicks here than anywhere.

Last edited:

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Buick is huge in China, I doubt they'll drop the brand with how well it sells there.
They even copied @ re-invented the PA! Very ingenious! We are way behind the times of American produced vehicles. Buick owners want the ride of the original PA which is not produced here anymore. The last Buick that was worth purchasing/owning, was the 1996 RMS/RMSW. So sad to see GM take a dump!

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Agree with the Buick/China success. This doesn't mean GM needs to keep the Buick brand alive in NA where it's really not as relevant as a brand as it once was.

75miguel75

Elgin Il
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
Count me in as someone who likes the fact that these are rarely seen on the streets, I'm not interested in driving the same car as half the block. I've seen one all black with tinted windows in Chicago. Although my other German ride is even rarer:
That all black with tints might have been me. I have yet to see another GS of any color

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Agree with the Buick/China success. This doesn't mean GM needs to keep the Buick brand alive in NA where it's really not as relevant as a brand as it once was.
Buick outsells Acura and there is no Acura deathwatch. If Buick makes the EV revolution the next few years it'll be here for a few more decades.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
They even copied @ re-invented the PA! Very ingenious! We are way behind the times of American produced vehicles. Buick owners want the ride of the original PA which is not produced here anymore. The last Buick that was worth purchasing/owning, was the 1996 RMS/RMSW. So sad to see GM take a dump!
Buick outsold Acura by 70,000 units last year. Their sales are 4th behind BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus, in the $30,00] range and sells more than allot of luxury brands from Europe.

Buick sales mix is 80% SUV today. Sedans are just not in demand.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Evolution will change the demand for SUV's , just like 30-yrs ago. Remember all the vans that were popular back in the day?

OldWhiteChevy

Buick outsold Acura by 70,000 units last year. Their sales are 4th behind BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus, in the $30,00] range and sells more than allot of luxury brands from Europe.

Buick sales mix is 80% SUV today. Sedans are just not in demand.
Plus Buick seems to score well for reliability and custom satisfaction, per Consumer Reports and JD Power. (For what that’s worth).

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Coupe, truck, minivan, sedans, SUV, ?, history of how a popular style can suddenly become unpopular. Before someone states how popular trucks still are, they were not popular at one time but become popular when the cost of automobiles had gone up and a truck was more cost effective. Toss in Urban Cowboy and suddenly trucks were cool LOL. like the AMC Eagle line of 4x4 cars were the right idea wrong time unlike the Pacer which was just wrong anytime LOL.

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
Bought an Enclave at 30, LaCrosse at 32, and TourX at 40. Apparently, my wife and I have always been old.

Pedal Commander