Short lived TourX

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Yeah, this drives me nuts. I'm over on the Outback and Forester forums (same username), and half the guy over there want to "raise" their Subarus and put knobbies on them...

Like they're going to take a unibody wagon with open differentials and no low range rock crawling?!

If Subaru would bring back the Legacy wagon, then that would be something... But that's now dead worldwide, not even just here in the States.
Well Subaru does some rather nice off road machines, just not in the USA.

Down Under you could get a Forester diesel with a low range, the low range is a little electric under drive unit, not a true transfer case, something like 1.6/1 reduction, nothing wild. I looked into installing one, it is a bolt in supposedly but +$3,000 plus install cost, nope.
Set up tis way it would not be a rock crawler, but would work on the dunes, and easy trails. I did not venture far in the photo. Not enough torque,

Attachments

Last edited:

supernoma

SW Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I think I may have just jinxed the TourX- I'm former Saturn and current Pontiac owner. Just traded in my 2016 Regal GS lease for a 2018 leftover TourX.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
For fun, just google speed tests on the German Autobahn and see that almost all of the cars are sedans or wagons traveling at 120 plus mph...
I spend a lot of time in Germany, and I drive on the Autobahn frequently...

There ARE cars going 120+mph where there's no limit, but generally, if I set the cruise at 150kph (≈93mph), then I'm definitely one of the faster cars out there.

I think it's a function of fuel prices (astronomical) and fatigue. Going fast burns a LOT of expensive fuel, and it's fun but tiring.

I agree. I have a 2018 TourX. I wish they offered the wagon GS version like the Opel Insignia.
There's no GS wagon in Europe, either... The biggest gas motor they get is the same 250hp 2-liter that we get.

gobluetwo

A Regular
IL
Buick Ownership
none
There's no GS wagon in Europe, either... The biggest gas motor they get is the same 250hp 2-liter that we get.
At the very least, though, I think what Lugen is referring to is the Sports Tourer GSi, which has the interior and exterior bits of our GS, albeit with the standard turbo 4 banger.

2018 Opel Insignia GSi Sports Tourer @ Top Speed

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
Saw that today too.... ^^^^

Hope we do not see more models drop. I really do like the new TourX but have yet to see one in the wild by me. I see Tesla 3's all over the place.

RedBeard2

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
I think you've mostly nailed it. One of the few reasons (some) automotive reviewers or mags say the Outback is better is that it has more ground clearance. Okay...if that's so important, get an actual SUV lol. Then it also gets pointed out that the base price is lower... but what gets left out is that the base engine in the Outback is much weaker.
Not to mention that Outback is higher and therefore more body roll in corners. That’s why I went with the TourX, it’s a sports wagon with AWD.

sezwho

Test drove a 2019 TourX today. I loved the car, and I haven't a clue why GM isn't advertising or marketing these cars like they should. They are sexy, functional, and eye catching.

My thoughts based upon what I've read and GM trends, is that GM will be sunsetting the Tourx out of existence in the US market next couple of years (along with most of the cars in their lineup-very sad!).

These cars would sell if GM advertised them since most people don't even know they exist. My impressing is that GM is preparing for bad times. Importing Chinese GM vehicles also rubs me wrong way, and makes me wonder whether GM knows something we don't in terms of the company's future.

I hope I'm wrong but GMs strategy seems to speak otherwise.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Tourx. The 2018's have a lot of incentives; the 2019's so-so. A beautiful car!

Cheers,

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Test drove a 2019 TourX today. I loved the car, and I haven't a clue why GM isn't advertising or marketing these cars like they should. They are sexy, functional, and eye catching.

My thoughts based upon what I've read and GM trends, is that GM will be sunsetting the Tourx out of existence in the US market next couple of years (along with most of the cars in their lineup-very sad!).

These cars would sell if GM advertised them since most people don't even know they exist. My impressing is that GM is preparing for bad times. Importing Chinese GM vehicles also rubs me wrong way, and makes me wonder whether GM knows something we don't in terms of the company's future.

I hope I'm wrong but GMs strategy seems to speak otherwise.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Tourx. The 2018's have a lot of incentives; the 2019's so-so. A beautiful car!

Cheers,
Yeah it's a real shame GM has done next to nothing to market TourX. And that they're sunsetting cars in general. I'd pull that trigger now so you a) get exactly what you want at the price you want, and b) don't miss the boat! So glad I got mine, it is such a cool ride.

One other concerning thing: it seems today's youth are often not getting their driver's license, or putting it off for several years. That may be playing in to GM's (and other makers') phasing cars out. My wife has a nephew and niece who didn't even drive 'til they were about 18 or 20 each. Sad indeed.

California TourX

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Just caught wind of this blog. I was on the wait list for a Tesla Model 3 until I saw a TourX on the freeways of Los Angeles. I literally paid half of the price of a Tesla 3 for my TourX. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that!

I find it disturbing but not surprising that the brilliant minds at GM might discontinue the TourX.

GM was a government bail-out in 2007/2008. This quarter they had record earnings and at the same time announced major lay-offs and discontinuation of sedans. Cadillac might someday be the only GM company to make sedans. The short-term thinking execs at Ford and GM live by full-size pick-ups and SUVs...idiots.

Over the years I've driven Audi, Volvo and Mercedes wagons, and my daughter had a Subaru. The TourX is my favorite by far. I get compliments almost every day. People say the same thing that I said when I first laid eyes on it, "That's a Buick???"

I realize that I'm singing to the choir...but check this out.

Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Just caught wind of this blog. I was on the wait list for a Tesla Model 3 until I saw a TourX on the freeways of Los Angeles. I literally paid half of the price of a Tesla 3 for my TourX. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that!

I find it disturbing but not surprising that the brilliant minds at GM might discontinue the TourX.

GM was a government bail-out in 2007/2008. This quarter they had record earnings and at the same time announced major lay-offs and discontinuation of sedans. Cadillac might someday be the only GM company to make sedans. The short-term thinking execs at Ford and GM live by full-size pick-ups and SUVs...idiots.

Over the years I've driven Audi, Volvo and Mercedes wagons, and my daughter had a Subaru. The TourX is my favorite by far. I get compliments almost every day. People say the same thing that I said when I first laid eyes on it, "That's a Buick???"

I realize that I'm singing to the choir...but check this out.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
Artticle says richer & better educated too, someone is trying to suck up.
Well, I’d really rather have the Volvo, but it cost more than twice as much as I paid for my TourX.
I never test drove a TourX and never as of yet drove mine. It was delivered and will sit in my garage till spring.
Back seat is just a little snug for my 6'2" but will seat 4 and carry lots of stuff.
Mr. Thrifty.
I ordered these but will wait for a warmer day to apply.
Amazon.com: Dawn Enterprises FE-REGAL18-TOURX Finished End Body Side Molding Compatible with Buick Regal - Abalone White TRICOAT (GE8): Automotive
FYI
Buick Enclave Sales Decrease 16 Percent To 14,420 Units In Q4 2018
Your grandfather's Buick is hot in China, but maybe not for long

Last edited:

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Just got a TourX and love it. I'm very short, so the larger SUV's are not at all for me. This car actually has enough cargo capacity for all my stuff! I've never seen another on the road yet - I don't mind. I love being one of a kind. In case you're wondering, I just traded in an Orange Aztek - never saw another one of those on the road either!!! The TourX gets compliments from everybody, including younger guys in their 30s (not your "typical" Buick buyers). Yes, I'm one of the middle-aged types (I'm 54), but very active, and don't feel like a senior. However, Mom (now 82) is the classic Buick buyer, and still has her '93 Roadmaster……..
What the heck??? Do I have a long lost relative??? Brother from another mother?

I'm 52... My 82 year old mom owns a Lucerne, LeSabre before that.

I transferred my Aztek plates onto my TourX but didn't have the heart to trade it in. It's sitting in my garage... Needs a thermostat, strut bearing and parking brake and it will pass NY inspection. 277,000 miles!

Message_1472565982924.jpg

California TourX

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
following is an email that I sent to numerous departments to Buick headquarters...

I am a proud and happy owner of a 2018 Regal TourX. This is only the 2nd American brand that I purchased new from a dealer. I've owned every competing make/model including the Volvo 850, Audi All-Road, Mercedes C240 and Subaru Outback...all station wagons.

The TourX is my favorite.

Please see the following link to the largest Buick owners' blog site.

To fellow TourX owners, it appears obvious that Buick intends to discontinue the TourX. We believe this is a serious mistake and missed business opportunity.

I happen to be regularly invited participant to automobile focus groups by Jackson Adept Research in Beverly Hills. Please re-boot your research.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Go all in!
I watched some Opel Insignia Country & Sport tour Reviews. Buick sure left a lot of stuff on the table that we don't get the Insignia has even on lower trim models.
How & why to save The TourX

Why.
  • PSA/Opel Division has an up and running fairly modern manufacturing & assembly facility.
    Opel Plant Responsible For Buick Regal Production In For Cuts
  • Most all the Engineering is completed.
  • Logistics & supply chain are established.
  • Sold in several different markets.
  • Customers have a choice. Not a lot of competition in price value segment.
How.
Go all in. we all know too many at GM are a bunch of pussies.
  • Drop Buick's SV1 Trim
  • Preferred becomes Chevrolet Biscayne MSRP $27,900
  • Drop Buick's Preferred Trim
  • Essene Trim becomes Chevrolet Nomad MSRP $32,900
  • Sub trim Nomad S/S or Classic MSRP $34,900
  • Driver Convenience Package 1 & 2 available extra cost on Chevy.
  • Buick Keeps TourX Essence MSRP $36,900, comes standard with Driver Convenience Package 1 & 2 available extra cost on Chevy.
  • Buicks Adds GS Version MSRP $39,900 SS & GS loses the “I’m really a SUV” Cladding. Replace with some very tasteful skirts & ground effects
  • Buicks Adds Avenir Trim MSRP $43,900
  • Do not discount and cheapen the brand more than Toyota or Honda would, for example.
  • Advertise, Make ads fun, put fear of God in your ad agency, or axe the overpaid clowns.
  • 9 speed Auto or sport mode that works. Nothing weird or fake.
  • 270 HP 2.0 L
  • 325 HP 3.6L V6
  • New not boring paint colors
  • Minimum 1500 Lb. Tow rating for utility trailers and such.
  • Top trim Avenir gets HUD, Heated and cooled seats, top end stuff all around.
  • This stuff optional stuff on GS.
  • Overall Sporty up the ride just a notch, Offer 2 Tire Options
  • Fix the minor stuff.
Finally, consider what Subaru and Toyota did with their Safety Suite, Eye Sight etc.
GM should consider adding to every model, ((Raise MSRP to cover most of it), or at least make the safety nannies’ an affordable option on lower trims.

These features are a compelling reason to chose one car over another.

PS. I have more, but GM would have pay my consulting fee.
If the above fly's, and the TourX becomes a seller, the next move would be a plug in hybrid.

Last edited:

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Peugeot probably wants to take everything in a new direction. Not even sure if GM wants an extended relationship with Peugeot.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Peugeot probably wants to take everything in a new direction. Not even sure if GM wants an extended relationship with Peugeot.

Looking at Peugeot's website tells me that you're probably correct. They want an all electric fleet of cars by 2025. GM wants to sell only SUV's and, probably like the Buick Envision, SUV's made in China.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I couldn't believe my eyes while shopping for my TourX and I noticed on the window stickers that the Envision was made in China and the Encore in S. Korea. GM really keeps the Envision China connection quiet.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.