• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Space Saver Spare Tire Size TourX Essence

Missourifarmer

Buick Ownership
Tour x
So new owner here (2 days old) and in the sale I negotiated that they provide me a spare ..like the above posts (even printed out one of the postings)

They are reluctant to order one as there are NONE per the factory for this vehicle. However they will reimburse me for any cost if I go ahead and order it.. Liability for ordering me parts not for my car. No big deal I can order them and they will reimburse

So guys what are the exact parts I should order and have them order.

Example - they can order the jack and tool kit, just want to make sure they order the one that will fit in the wheel well.

I plan on ordering this wheel: $93.00

Spare Wheel - GM (84095141) | GMPartsDirect.com

this Tire $120

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=CST+17&partnum=27MR7CST17&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Continental_CST_17_Tire&code=yes&ef_id=CjwKCAjwmZbpBRAGEiwADrmVXpqIESFs1tCzzeFMhUgqM6YcpHw2gJpQL3bOkIr1vL7U6cVmq0GVMxoCOjkQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72322431853!!!g!99873040333!&gclid=CjwKCAjwmZbpBRAGEiwADrmVXpqIESFs1tCzzeFMhUgqM6YcpHw2gJpQL3bOkIr1vL7U6cVmq0GVMxoCOjkQAvD_BwE

I think they are already ordering me tool kit and jack but if not.

This Jack $33
Jack - GM (23455285) | GMPartsDirect.com

thanks in advance.

and some tool kit? anybody have a link to the right one to fit?

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Just get the spare kit and tools from the LaCrosse and you should be all set.

stevie123

Buick Ownership
Buick
Spare Wheel - GM (84095141) | GMPartsDirect.com

this Tire $120

I think they are already ordering me tool kit and jack but if not.

This Jack $33
Jack - GM (23455285) | GMPartsDirect.com
The wheel is correct (same part number as mine). The tire is the right size. Note that someone will have to mount it to the wheel. Cost should be ~$15-20. The jack part number you linked to is only the jack. The wrench and extension pin and plastic holders are not included! You are better off going to a scrap yard or used parts dealership to buy an old set...

Or, if you decide to use your own wrench (1/2 inch torque wrench cost $13 at Harbor freight with coupon) a 19mm long socket cost $4-6 from Ebay or Amazon.

Another thing- if you get the fancy round styofoam jack holder and use it, then your sub woofer won't fit anymore. You have to pick one.

Another note is that if you do decide to put in the spare tire with the subwoofer, you'll need to pad the bottom of the well with some rags or styofoam so the steel wheel isn't directly sitting steel against steel.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
Ok so I can confirm the black alloy wheel 9594807 fits.
Thanks for the heads up! I found a 9594807 out of a 2010 DTS that is now living under my sub.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Found a '14 Impala with 125/70/17 spare in mint condition at local yard yesterday, $18 with $2 yard entry fee. Will have to keep hunting for a complete jack kit.

Apparently the jack kits are a hot commodity (b/c scrappers?) - I only found one jack among about 150-200 GM cars and it was rusting in a pool of trunk water. Plenty of 16" spares to be had, mine was the only 17" there. Also noticed many cargo nets intact and in good shape, about $4...these are the GM trunk cargo nets so they're about 4'L x 1'H or so. I'd imagine you could find one pretty easily at your local yard if that is of interest.

Apparently this yard gets frequent gravel storms; several trunks had copious gravel/mud deposits. Also of note - an '08 Saturn Aura has much much nicer leather seats than our '18 TourX. SMH yet again at GM's bean counters. But it was cool looking at old cars, many of them in very good shape.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Found a '14 Impala with 125/70/17 spare in mint condition at local yard yesterday, $18 with $2 yard entry fee. Will have to keep hunting for a complete jack kit.

Apparently the jack kits are a hot commodity (b/c scrappers?) - I only found one jack among about 150-200 GM cars and it was rusting in a pool of trunk water. Plenty of 16" spares to be had, mine was the only 17" there. Also noticed many cargo nets intact and in good shape, about $4...these are the GM trunk cargo nets so they're about 4'L x 1'H or so. I'd imagine you could find one pretty easily at your local yard if that is of interest.

Apparently this yard gets frequent gravel storms; several trunks had copious gravel/mud deposits. Also of note - an '08 Saturn Aura has much much nicer leather seats than our '18 TourX. SMH yet again at GM's bean counters. But it was cool looking at old cars, many of them in very good shape.

CORRECTION: I thought I read here that a '14 Impala spare would fit our cars. It won't. Looks like '00-'13 has same 5x115 bolt pattern but I think the spare is only 16" for those. Back to the 'yard I go. Just wanted to post so nobody makes same mistake I did.

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
I found a good site to assist with finding used parts: www.car-part.com. It is effectively a meta-search engine for parts yards across the country. I followed the lead of stevie123 and did my search on a 2018 Chevy Equinox. The search engine already has the most common interchanges which makes it easy. You have to select the component you want to search for from a drop down menu - I used "wheel display w/image" for the wheel and it came up with a list of wheels by size. Fortunately the spare is an oddball size - 17 X 4 so once that is selected you only have to look for the correct tire size on that wheel. I used "jack assembly" for the jack and tools.

What I ended up with was a like new wheel from a Buick Lacrosse and a tool kit from a Chevy Equinox. One yard had both - $75 for the wheel/tire and $35 for the jack and tools. The tire is a T125/70R17. That sounded like a decent deal based on what I have been reading in this thread. The yard was 92 miles away (near Charlottesville, Virginia) but it was a nice day for a drive and I drove back on the Skyline Drive which was a real treat in my new (to me) TourX. I also spotted another TourX "in the wild" on Skyline Drive - a silver/gray one with Texas plates parked in the lot for Hawksbill.

The yard is M & M Service & Salvage Yard, Inc. in Ruckersville, Virginia - just a bit North of Charlottesville. A big yard with a lot of late model cars parted out. Very nice folks to deal with.

I will update the group after I test the fit and let you know what I found out.

(You can ignore the other junk in the car - that's for a non-automotive project)
Spare and Jack.jpg

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
I'm back to report success! The wheel fits on the car and in the well. There is lot's of room in the well when you remove the foam insert - you just need to make your own padding so things don't rattle around. The Jack/wrench works and is the correct size. Even adding all that, there is still room for the 12 volt inflator and the bottle of Continental branded Slime. It appears to me there is plenty of clearance for the calipers in both dimensions. I stuck my phone underneath and took a shot to illustrate the clearance.

My photo in the post above shows what I picked up at M&M Auto Service and Salvage, a wrecking yard in Ruckersville, Virginia.

Photos below should be pretty much self explanatory.

Jack handle/wrench
Wrench.jpg

Numbers on the Jack handle/wrench
Wrench Numbers.jpg

The Jack
Jack.jpg

The numbers on the jack
Jack Numbers.jpg

The jacking point is indicated by the cutout area in the pinch weld
Jacking Point for Right Rear.jpg

The jack in position to be raised
Jack in Position.jpg

Spare in place on the right rear
Spare on Right Rear.jpg

Clearance to caliper as seen through the wheel
Spare Wheel Clearance-1.jpg

Clearance with caliper as seen from behind the wheel
Spare Wheel Clearance-2.jpg

Last edited:

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
I ran into the limit for attached photos, so this is the conclusion to the story (above).

These are the numbers that appear on the 17x4 spare wheel
Spare Wheel Numbers.jpg

And this is the tire size - T125/70R17
Temporary Spare Size.jpg

This shows everything in position except the towel is not folded around the jack yet
Spare wth jack showing.jpg

The annotated photo showing where everything ended up. I was able to find a place for all the new tools as well as the original equipment inflator and flat-fix "goop".
Finsihed Spare and Jack-Tool Storage with Sub.jpg

These are the left-overs. On the left the foam carrier for the jack and tools that I got from the salvage yard, on the right the original foam insert that held the sub-woofer, the inflator, and the bottle of Continental Slime.
Left Over Foam Inserts.jpg

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Great write up. There is only thing I'm wondering about.While Opel Insignia Tourer comes with the spare donut only for the front wheel drive vehicles, would smaller spare get any damage to AWD system? In other words, can we use different size wheels for AWD?

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
I found this on page 197 of the Buick Regal Owner's Manual:

"Drive Systems

All-Wheel Drive

If equipped, this feature transfers
torque to the rear wheels as
required. It is fully automatic, and
adjusts itself as needed for road
conditions.

All-Wheel Drive (AWD) performance
is automatically reduced when you
use the compact spare. To restore
full AWD performance, and prevent
excessive wear to the clutch in the
AWD system, replace the compact
spare tire with a full-size tire as
soon as possible. See Compact
Spare Tire 314."

And on page 314:

"Compact Spare Tire

Warning

Driving with more than one
compact spare tire at a time could
result in loss of braking and
handling. This could lead to a
crash and you or others could be
injured. Use only one compact
spare tire at a time.

If this vehicle has a compact spare
tire, it was fully inflated when new;
however, it can lose air over time.
Check the inflation pressure
regularly. It should be 420 kPa
(60 psi).

Stop as soon as possible and check
that the spare tire is correctly
inflated after being installed on the
vehicle. The compact spare tire is
designed for temporary use only.
The vehicle will perform differently
with the spare tire installed and it is
recommended that the vehicle
speed be limited to 80 km/h
(50 mph). To conserve the tread of
the spare tire, have the standard tire
repaired or replaced as soon as
convenient and return the spare tire
to the storage area.

When using a compact spare tire,
the AWD (if equipped), ABS, and
Traction Control systems may
engage until the spare tire is
recognized by the vehicle,
especially on slippery roads. Adjust
driving to reduce possible
wheel slip.

Caution

When the compact spare is
installed, do not take the vehicle
through an automatic car wash
with guide rails. The compact
spare can get caught on the rails
which can damage the tire, wheel,
and other parts of the vehicle.

Do not use the compact spare on
other vehicles.

Do not mix the compact spare tire or
wheel with other wheels or tires.
They will not fit. Keep the spare tire
and its wheel together.

Caution

Tire chains will not fit the compact
spare. Using them can damage
the vehicle and the chains. Do not
use tire chains on the compact
spare."

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Thanks. That makes sense. I'm hunting one down now. Per my calculations, the compact spare is almost 4" smaller in diameter. Is that correct?

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
GM is gonna send me a rollback tow truck... if I get a flat for 4 years right?
And has farmers daughter on call for stress reduction, right.... So over nite accomadations are covered?
Did not expect farmers daughter to be 60...

Pedal Commander