What did you do to your Regal today?

Super LaX

Columbus, NJ
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS
I towed it because the a [piston broke/rod gave up] and blew a hole in the block.
Welcome to the boards! Oh, wait......

I love it when people contribute during a major catastrophe.

On a serious note, I hope you have some of your powertrain warranty remaining to cover this. Good luck.

Super LaX

Columbus, NJ
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS
What slot are you referring to? I tried twisting the lens but it seems pretty steady in there...don’t want to break anything. I was not super pleased with the positioning as well.
The black barrel under the flat plastic frame spins 360 degrees. Position it to your liking.

anon242

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Were you driving normally or did you have the pedal to the metal when it blew up?
1st gear accelerating, probably 30% throttle. Not hard, popped around 4k rpm or so. I'll post the video on youtube when I can get back to the car to pull the SD card out of my DVR.

Welcome to the boards! Oh, wait......

I love it when people contribute during a major catastrophe.

On a serious note, I hope you have some of your powertrain warranty remaining to cover this. Good luck.
I should say the same to you, my account is older than yours, lol.

No. Motor popped around 79.9k, and its a 2012 GS. I will likely just be buying a crate motor for around 2k or salvage LHU for $1k and swap it myself.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
30% throttle at 4000 rpm surely isn't driving it hard. The LHU isn't an interference motor, so possibly a valve spring broke and the piston smacked into it, or it could just be that the piston failed. Did your car have a stock tune or a performance tune?

Sam14GS

Lake Worth, Florida
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS & 2019 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Did that fix the power problem you were having?
It feels like it did. Better acceleration and the tranny shifts seem more crisp (I guess from the improved acceleration). Easy enough to swap out every 25K miles ;)

anon242

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
30% throttle at 4000 rpm surely isn't driving it hard. The LHU isn't an interference motor, so possibly a valve spring broke and the piston smacked into it, or it could just be that the piston failed. Did your car have a stock tune or a performance tune?
All stock except for ZZP tune. Was throwing codes when I got the tune. Don't want to go into many details because it's hard to prove it was negligence on their behalf... but I can at least say that there should've been questions instead of "meh, just adjust the map so it won't throw a code" imho. They also just have weak pistons.

I think it had a boost leak or other issue, developed misfire, which created a hot spot on cyl1, then cracked, then piston gave up after a while. Popped a whole in the block, can see the wristpin from the side down by the oilpan. picrelated

Picking up a new long block this week and swapping it soon.

Attachments

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Did my first oil change since purchasing my 16’ GS. I drove it 3000 miles from when I left the dealer with it (I know the change interval is higher but I’m old school when it comes to oil changes.) I also swapped out the spark plugs since it’s easy and cheap to do. I’m at about 37,000 miles and love it so far.

anon242

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Did my first oil change since purchasing my 16’ GS. I drove it 3000 miles from when I left the dealer with it (I know the change interval is higher but I’m old school when it comes to oil changes.) I also swapped out the spark plugs since it’s easy and cheap to do. I’m at about 37,000 miles and love it so far.
Your service manual reccommends plugs every 75k miles or something like that, and thats not nessesary to swap oil every 3k miles. It isn't a 25 year old engine m8, you're just wasting cash.

Malo83

Buick Newbie
Cent Cal
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T
I'm on a 5K oil change sched. my 17 GS is at 6109 miles right now, she's had 3 oil changes since driving her off the dealers lot, rather waste my cash on the car and miss a few runs thru Mickey D's and Taco Bell. :cheers:

Malo83

Buick Newbie
Cent Cal
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T
Trying out Mothers CMX ceramic coating, put my first layer today, easy on and wipe off. Car is kept in the garage so i'll put my second and third coat on this weekend, nice slick shine. Anybody else try this stuff and what are your results, hear it's not a true ceramic but for 20 bones thought i'd give it a try. :cool:
61ZPYaEtnEL._SL1500_.jpg

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
Glass Beaded the Intake Manifold and Valve Cover, polished the Valve Cover and installed a small 1oz Catch Can. I purchased Used Valve Cover and Intake, and cleaned them up before taking off my originals, now I have extras of each, both cleaned and cover is polished. Checked Intake Valves while manifold was off, don't look too caked up.IMG_20190525_142525540.jpgIMG_20190525_153914537.jpgIMG_20190529_085133868.jpg. If anyone is interested, these are off a 2012 GS 2.0 LHUIMG_20190512_142656375.jpgIMG_20190512_142739210.jpgIMG_20190512_142743285.jpg