• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Short lived TourX

Fleuger99

Austin, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
How does a greyhound fit in a TourX? We have Greater Swissy mountain dogs and our Male cannot stand up

How can a Greyhound fit in a TourX? We have Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs and the male has to lie down to fit.
Mike, I assumed they would but now you have me worried. I have not purchased the vehicle yet. I just measured the height at the lowest point of my Volvo wagon and its 32 inches between the cargo floor and the liner. Would you mind measuring the height in the TourX for me and letting me know. Thanks!

Fleuger99

Austin, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I am curious about the lease figures from your dealer. When I asked two dealers about leasing in December last year, the numbers were so ridiculously high (at least to me) that I would have been better off just financing the car.
The dealer I test drove at is only a few miles from my home but they only had 2018's so I didn't bother asking about lease pricing. I did reach out to a dealer that is further away this afternoon who has a 2019 on their lot that I'd be interested in. I sent an email asking for the following info:
Sale price
Residual
Money Factor
Dealer Fees
Monthly Payment
on a 36 month/12K miles per year lease with cap cost reduction of $2500.

Unfortunately, I was playing phone tag with this dealer and I am yet to get the above info. Once I do, I'll definitely share with you. I don't know why but 46% residual is in my head which would explain why your lease payment was so high. Cars with low residuals are worst for leasing. I imagine it being a Buick and a wagon probably make it so. The dealer this afternoon mentioned there were no lease specials from Buick on the TourX at this time which she thought was odd. We leased a 2018 BMW X5 diesel for my wife and the residual on that was 56%.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Mike, I assumed they would but now you have me worried. I have not purchased the vehicle yet. I just measured the height at the lowest point of my Volvo wagon and its 32 inches between the cargo floor and the liner. Would you mind measuring the height in the TourX for me and letting me know. Thanks!
Lowest point is 28" by the rear hatch and that is the middle of the hatch area.
With rear seats folded down, that area is 31-1/2" tall. I would not want the dogs on the back of the rear seat, as they will make a mess with dog hair and if yours are like ours, 100 pound plus cute little puppies just want to jump in your lap and scratch up the console. Our male is +28" at the shoulders, I worry he may damage the headliner, especially if he is playing with another dog in the back. You can't put a crate in the back of a TourX.
Fortunately we have a Forester, a Sienna and an F-150.
If yours are well behaved, The TourX can carry them, as long as they lie down and you have a barrier to keep them out of the front seats..

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Yes, the TourX is doomed.
GM cannot sell it at a price point they want.
For example:
Given the choice between a top trim Mazda CX5 with 250HP-310 Ft-lbs turbo 4 with all the do-dads & features vs a Loaded TourX Essence, if both had an out the door price of $36,000, (MSRP's +40K) which one would you pick?
For same money, CX5 w/ turbo, for sure. Car is nicer. Much better high end interior, even though visibility somewhat sucks and it is a bit on the dark and claustrophobic side. Feature for feature the Mazda beat the TourX a little bit overall. Plus Mazda has the Zoom Zoom driving dynamics figured out. The Lower center of gravity of the TourX will allow it to have the same Performance Specs, but the driving feel reported to be not as well sorted out. I've never driven either a CX5 or a my new TourX, but have at least 159,000 plus miles on various Mazda's so I'm a fan boy.
So the only way to have good TourX sales is to drop the price or improve the TourX.
Facing reality, neither is likely, and with PSA calling the shots, the TourX is going to be one exclusive rare car.
Being an exclusive rare car can be a good thing.
For example my 2003 Cobra brings about 10X what a 2003 Mustang GT brings on the used car market.
Wouldn't if be neat if a 15 year old TourX brings 5-10X what a LTG Chevy Malibu sells for in the 2030's!
Also like the Cobra, most repair parts for a TourX should be available years down the road.
Mazda hasn't Zoom-zoom for most of this decade or more. The TourX is 1.5s faster than the CX-5 2.5T in Motor Trend figure-8 handling test. That has to be two car lengths at 40 mph autocross speeds.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Mazda hasn't Zoom-zoom for most of this decade or more. The TourX is 1.5s faster than the CX-5 2.5T in Motor Trend figure-8 handling test. That has to be two car lengths at 40 mph autocross speeds.
I think the CX-5 is the wrong Mazda to be comparing to.

IF Mazda would sell THIS Mazda6 wagon n the U.S. it would be a much tougher decision. My Buick barely sees 23mpg, my Mazda6 regularly sees over 30mpg.

There is not one feature the new Buick has that my 5 year old Mazda6 doesn't have, but the Mazda6 had some tricks the Buick doesn't.

I drive 30k miles per year, that is a significant difference both in fuel cost and time wasted at gas stations.

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
1.5 seconds at 40 MPH is just under 90 feet. That's a bit more than 5 Tourx lengths.

I've driven a cx5 as a rental, and it's a nice car for rental companies -- it's too boring to tempt the driver to do anything silly with it.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Congrats!! I really like that colour, which is it? I was looking at a dark moon blue metallic with black interior. Certain vehicles look better in certain colours depending on their shape etc. Your colour looks great on the TourX.
I was also looking at dark moon blue, very nice color. There was not a single example in my area and I had colors narrowed down to that, smoked pearl, black and rioja red...ended up finding my smoked pearl with options I wanted and really like it. Have never had this color before. I like how it has a green hue to it in different light (dusk, etc) and it doesn't show dirt as readily as black/blue though I still love those colors. My last ride was a midnight blue (black? I forget) pearl '07 Acura RDX.

As for dogs, I have a couple of big ones so on test drive I asked the dealer to let me take the TourX home for a few hours to show the wife, etc. and they were totally cool with that (smart guys, and pretty easy to deal with, Reed Buick in KC). I put a blanket down in back and out the door so nothing would get scratched and let my biggest guy hop in, he was okay. Boxer Hound mix, big fella. Wife and I do the dog test with each vehicle, it's the only way to really know for sure what's gonna work. Dog hair? That's what blankets/cargo liners are for, ha. There is not much you can do to totally avoid it, but these sure help!

RE dog barriers, @IanMitch also -- you might see what eBay has to offer. I've been looking at this or there's this or just some 110x70 cargo netting to go directly behind front seats. Cargo net option could be stretched to attach (with carabiners) to the interior roof handholds or just the head rest metal rods and seatbelt anchors at floor and would be quick to dismantle for convenience. I'm not a fan of those solid hard barriers, too bulky to deal with on a trip.

Last edited:

Fleuger99

Austin, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Lowest point is 28" by the rear hatch and that is the middle of the hatch area.
With rear seats folded down, that area is 31-1/2" tall. I would not want the dogs on the back of the rear seat, as they will make a mess with dog hair and if yours are like ours, 100 pound plus cute little puppies just want to jump in your lap and scratch up the console. Our male is +28" at the shoulders, I worry he may damage the headliner, especially if he is playing with another dog in the back. You can't put a crate in the back of a TourX.
Fortunately we have a Forester, a Sienna and an F-150.
If yours are well behaved, The TourX can carry them, as long as they lie down and you have a barrier to keep them out of the front seats..
Thanks for the info Mike! I measured my dogs and the taller of the two was 26" at the shoulder and 30" including her head. My dogs weigh in at 86lbs for my famale and 83lbs for the male. My Greyhounds are great car travelers. Neither show any interest in getting into the front seat, even when its empty. They stand up in the back and as soon as the car starts moving they lie down and in ten minutes they're asleep. They always lie in the same positions, female side to side of the car against the back hatch and the male front to back of the car against the right side of the back area.

In my past three vehicles I've used Canvas Back Cargo Liners and they are AWESOME! It is made out of canvas so very durable, water proof and hair comes off easily when vacuuming it. Unfortunately, they don't make them for the TourX, probably not enough sales for them to justify it.

So it seems the TourX would be fine. Thanks again.

PS. pic of the dogs, Sydney left and Sammy right. Sammy is small for a Greyhound male.

Attachments

Last edited:

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX
There is a kit to add in the attachment points, but it was unclear if it will work on models with the moonroof. If you don’t have a moonroof, the kit would work nicely to add the points and get the barrier in there. (Sorry I don’t have Vauxhall numbers off hand.)
I may scout aorun
I was also looking at dark moon blue, very nice color. There was not a single example in my area and I had colors narrowed down to that, smoked pearl, black and rioja red...ended up finding my smoked pearl with options I wanted and really like it. Have never had this color before. I like how it has a green hue to it in different light (dusk, etc) and it doesn't show dirt as readily as black/blue though I still love those colors. My last ride was a midnight blue (black? I forget) pearl '07 Acura RDX.

As for dogs, I have a couple of big ones so on test drive I asked the dealer to let me take the TourX home for a few hours to show the wife, etc. and they were totally cool with that (smart guys, and pretty easy to deal with, Reed Buick in KC). I put a blanket down in back and out the door so nothing would get scratched and let my biggest guy hop in, he was okay. Boxer Hound mix, big fella. Wife and I do the dog test with each vehicle, it's the only way to really know for sure what's gonna work. Dog hair? That's what blankets/cargo liners are for, ha. There is not much you can do to totally avoid it, but these sure help!

RE dog barriers, @IanMitch also -- you might see what eBay has to offer. I've been looking at this or there's this or just some 110x70 cargo netting to go directly behind front seats. Cargo net option could be stretched to attach (with carabiners) to the interior roof handholds or just the head rest metal rods and seatbelt anchors at floor and would be quick to dismantle for convenience. I'm not a fan of those solid hard barriers, too bulky to deal with on a trip.
Thank you Pacer69. I'm spoiled with my Volvo Pet net protection, and hoping to find similar. In fact I'm considering keeping my. 2006 Volvo for any abusive use - like carrying an anxious 85lbs Golden Retriever. The Volvo which is running fine, costs me less than $50 a month to insure and license. That is still under consideration. Alternatively I might have someone manufacture a 4 foot leather leash with hooks at both ends that I can hook to his harness (which he wears 24/7) and hook to a cargo bracket.

Until this midwest winter clears up, I will be keeping the Volvo, so I don't have to figure it out this week.

What year is the wagon in your picture?

Fleuger99

Austin, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I may scout aorun

That was my wife's 2015 T6 which was leased. We just turned it in and leased her a 2018 X5 diesel, last year for X5 diesels so 'nudged' her in that direction as I'm a big diesel fan. I have a 2011 XC70 but will mostly likely replace it with the TourX.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
I may scout aorun

Thank you Pacer69. I'm spoiled with my Volvo Pet net protection, and hoping to find similar. In fact I'm considering keeping my. 2006 Volvo for any abusive use - like carrying an anxious 85lbs Golden Retriever. The Volvo which is running fine, costs me less than $50 a month to insure and license. That is still under consideration. Alternatively I might have someone manufacture a 4 foot leather leash with hooks at both ends that I can hook to his harness (which he wears 24/7) and hook to a cargo bracket.

Until this midwest winter clears up, I will be keeping the Volvo, so I don't have to figure it out this week.

Understandable on keeping the older Volvo for abusive duty! Not sure if you were asking me which wagon, or Fleuger...If me: That's a '76 Buick Estate Wagon in my avatar, LeSabre variant IIRC. How do you like your '79? College buddy of mine had one, it was pretty lux! We affectionately called it Das Boat.

My pic is circa '02. I used that wagon for my book tour which was a real hoot...I could sleep in the back, and did! Bought sight unseen via flight from KC to Chattanooga, had to renegotiate price on return drive home as seller lied about many, many issues LOL. Learned to never trust a man who carried a Bible on his armrest.

That's my book on the bumper there in the avatar pic. Dogs from that era (RIP my lil dudes; we have much bigger dogs now) went with me for part of the tour. Like everyone else, they got a kick out of that wagon. Buick 455 was pretty solid and oh so smooth, but ate/leaked oil. I sold it a few years later to a guy (disclosed any remaining issues, by that time I had fixed pretty much everything, ha) who was gonna restore it, but instead ended up selling it after a year to a guy who derby'd it. I guess those old clamshells were popular for that. I like that I have another Buick wagon now — seems appropriate!

Here's another pic of the old girl: 14113

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX
Understandable on keeping the older Volvo for abusive duty! Not sure if you were asking me which wagon, or Fleuger...If me: That's a '76 Buick Estate Wagon in my avatar, LeSabre variant IIRC. How do you like your '79? College buddy of mine had one, it was pretty lux! We affectionately called it Das Boat.

My pic is circa '02. I used that wagon for my book tour which was a real hoot...I could sleep in the back, and did! Bought sight unseen via flight from KC to Chattanooga, had to renegotiate price on return drive home as seller lied about many, many issues LOL. Learned to never trust a man who carried a Bible on his armrest.

That's my book on the bumper there in the avatar pic. Dogs from that era (RIP my lil dudes; we have much bigger dogs now) went with me for part of the tour. Like everyone else, they got a kick out of that wagon. Buick 455 was pretty solid and oh so smooth, but ate/leaked oil. I sold it a few years later to a guy (disclosed any remaining issues, by that time I had fixed pretty much everything, ha) who was gonna restore it, but instead ended up selling it after a year to a guy who derby'd it. I guess those old clamshells were popular for that. I like that I have another Buick wagon now — seems appropriate!

Here's another pic of the old girl: View attachment 14113
I've recently developed an interest in clam shell wagons... but have too many cars already. My 79 was so damn comfortable, pretty reliable, and terribly underpowered. I had the 2bbl 301 Pontiac engine. Safe for a 16 year old. I regret not having bought something else as my first car, but I stayed alive.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Thanks for the info Mike! I measured my dogs and the taller of the two was 26" at the shoulder and 30" including her head. My dogs weigh in at 86lbs for my famale and 83lbs for the male. My Greyhounds are great car travelers. Neither show any interest in getting into the front seat, even when its empty. They stand up in the back and as soon as the car starts moving they lie down and in ten minutes they're asleep. They always lie in the same positions, female side to side of the car against the back hatch and the male front to back of the car against the right side of the back area.

In my past three vehicles I've used Canvas Back Cargo Liners and they are AWESOME! It is made out of canvas so very durable, water proof and hair comes off easily when vacuuming it. Unfortunately, they don't make them for the TourX, probably not enough sales for them to justify it.

So it seems the TourX would be fine. Thanks again.

PS. pic of the dogs, Sydney left and Sammy right. Sammy is small for a Greyhound male.
Heavily reinforced rear seat delete kit in my Cobra. Factory rear seat was useless for humans anyways.
This liner will protect the back of the TourX.

Attachments

Fleuger99

Austin, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The dealer I test drove at is only a few miles from my home but they only had 2018's so I didn't bother asking about lease pricing. I did reach out to a dealer that is further away this afternoon who has a 2019 on their lot that I'd be interested in. I sent an email asking for the following info:
Sale price
Residual
Money Factor
Dealer Fees
Monthly Payment
on a 36 month/12K miles per year lease with cap cost reduction of $2500.

Unfortunately, I was playing phone tag with this dealer and I am yet to get the above info. Once I do, I'll definitely share with you. I don't know why but 46% residual is in my head which would explain why your lease payment was so high. Cars with low residuals are worst for leasing. I imagine it being a Buick and a wagon probably make it so. The dealer this afternoon mentioned there were no lease specials from Buick on the TourX at this time which she thought was odd. We leased a 2018 BMW X5 diesel for my wife and the residual on that was 56%.
I received the numbers on a loaded vehicle with an MSRP of $39210. Here is a link to the vehicle: Austin Dark Moon Blue Metallic 2019 Buick Regal TourX: New Wagon Available Near Round Rock

Sale price - $35410
Residual - 46% (terrible number for a lease)
Money Factor - .0022 (or 5.28%) which is nothing special
Dealer Fees - They didn't provide this number
Monthly Payment - $698 (with cap cost reduction of $3500). This is terrible for a car with a sale price of $35K. To compare, I'm only paying $87 more for a $70K BMW X5 lease. Definitely not a car to lease.

I'm going to go into the dealer on Saturday next weekend and see what the numbers look like for a purchase. I know GM Financial is offering $1250 off and 0% financing for up to 72 months. The dealer near my house has the same car above but in Grey and a 2018 with $8K in various incentives. If I add the financing option with the extra $1250 off I'd be looking at a discount of $9250 with 0% financing which is really good.

benkel579

Buick Newbie
Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I received the numbers on a loaded vehicle with an MSRP of $39210. Here is a link to the vehicle: Austin Dark Moon Blue Metallic 2019 Buick Regal TourX: New Wagon Available Near Round Rock

Sale price - $35410
Monthly Payment - $698 (with cap cost reduction of $3500). This is terrible for a car with a sale price of $35K. To compare, I'm only paying $87 more for a $70K BMW X5 lease. Definitely not a car to lease.

I'm going to go into the dealer on Saturday next weekend and see what the numbers look like for a purchase. I know GM Financial is offering $1250 off and 0% financing for up to 72 months. The dealer near my house has the same car above but in Grey and a 2018 with $8K in various incentives. If I add the financing option with the extra $1250 off I'd be looking at a discount of $9250 with 0% financing which is really good.
The dealership I bought my Essence from wouldn't allow me to combine the big discounts with 0% financing - it was an either-or deal, essentially.

That being said, with the discount I got on mine I'm still coming out ahead even with having to pay market interest rates.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX

Sale price - $35410

Many dealers are advertising $5,000 in discounts which are two $2,500 rebates only available if you DON'T take the 0% financing and $1,250.

If that's the case then you're actually better off finding 3rd party financing if it's below 4% and taking the $5,000. Then if you can pay it off early, more win.

My $40k Essence came out below $28k. I paid the sales tax and registration out of pocket and financed the rest 3rd party.

Fleuger99

Austin, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The dealership I bought my Essence from wouldn't allow me to combine the big discounts with 0% financing - it was an either-or deal, essentially.

That being said, with the discount I got on mine I'm still coming out ahead even with having to pay market interest rates.
Thanks, good to know. My local credit union is offering 1.9% up to 72 months which is pretty decent if I can get $8K plus off.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX

Sale price - $35410

I'm going to go into the dealer on Saturday next weekend and see what the numbers look like for a purchase. I know GM Financial is offering $1250 off and 0% financing for up to 70 months. The dealer near my house has the same car above but in Grey and a 2018 with $8K in various incentives. If I add the financing option with the extra $1250 off I'd be looking at a discount of $9250 with 0% financing which is really good.
That lease does stink but that last few sentences yeah sounds like a decent deal. FWIW, when I got my local deal I had the dealer match the [better] price of one with exact same options up the road in Minneapolis (I'm in KC); I sent them the link, and based my offer on that, and added on a few hundred that I figured I'd spend on a short flight and gas. They tried to add on some doc fees and whatnot but I told them, look, guys, this is what I said I'm willing to pay, it's fair and also above and beyond this other deal that I can get right now (+TTL). Just let me know if it doesn't work for you and I'll go to Minneapolis. They whined a bit but said okay. Did my trade-in negotiation after that, gave them a fair price as well so everybody was happy.