• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

TSB 19-NA-100 Radio Software Version 22.8 and TSB 19-NA-249 Favorites Grayed Out- Nov 4, 2019

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Almost all of the discussion on software upgrades relate to greyed-out radio (AM/FM/XM) presets; just wondering it any of the updates actually fixed the USB stick initialization--as in getting rid of the 'device not detected' which shows-up about 20% of the time when starting the car. I'm beginning to think that a software solution may not solve the issue. Initialization of USB ports has been around for decades (thinking Win 98SE) so I think it may be a bad hardware design from Samsung...:unsure:

I had that issue until they replaced my whole Head unit.

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
I really have to wonder if Apple's iOS updates "break" the way my iPhone works with the Tour X infotainment system. Now, a new problem has started. When I press the "track up" button on the steering wheel when using Apple CarPlay, it takes anywhere from 30-60 seconds for the track to actually change. If I press "track up" on the infotainment screen, it changes right away. What next!?!

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
I have the 22.10 update, it seems to have fixed the greyed out XM presets issue for good in case anyone missed my earlier post. Had it for about a month now, maybe longer.

But my CarPlay has been wonky lately. So many variables with these things. I got a new Amazon Basics phone cord and I suspect it isn't communicating well with CP automatic activation; the old cord I used would open CP right away (IIRC) when I plugged in my phone. Now I often have to manually open CP on the car's touchscreen. Also have gotten a few messages on the Buick or iPhone screen saying something about the cord OR iPhone (I forget which) not working with this device. That is probably a purely cord-related message as I've seen that with other third-party cords. PITA especially when running Nav via phone. Will try the old cord again (OWC brand, which is a Mac-centric company) and see if that restores it. Otherwise it may be a 22.10 bug.

Someday all this "smart" hardware and software is just going to kill us. Maybe they are just starting slow with stuff not working right? Ha.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
I was on 21.1 and not having issues, then all of a sudden every issue that has been reported here started; all at once. When I made the appointment for the oil change I requested the TSBs for the radio/entertainment system be addressed. Took about 2 hours for the oil change and the TSB updates to v22.10. It's been a bit over 2 weeks and issues have not reoccurred.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
I just go mine done; it says 22.175 if that’s the last version. I can see GM going to 22.175999999944567723992 if they continue on this route.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
I would guess if you're innumerate (like some people at GM), the next version may be 22.ELEVEN.

There are actually guidelines for software (search for 'software versioning'). A new feature or some significant re-write of the base code usually ups the version number to the left of the decimal point and a bug fix or minor change bumps the numbers up on the right. I would have thought that the 'Alexa' upgrade would have brought the version to 23.xx, but I guess being 'just another app' it only nudged the numbers on the right.

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
The infotainment system continues to be the biggest issue with this car for me. Wednesday, I could not get CarPlay to work no matter what. Plugged and unplugged phone numerous times, turned car off, opened door, restarted - NOTHING could get it to work so I ended up using Bluetooth audio. VERY frustrating! I was still on iOS 13.X (latest 13) at the time. I have now updated to iOS 14.3 so will have to see what, if any, difference that makes.

Pnutvendor

Hopefully I'm in the right forum for this but just had a quick question. Im interested in getting an '18-20 GS. Preferably '19-20 because of the new head unit, not sure if the head unit is actually new or if it's just running new software. But, wanted to know if anyone is aware that you can upgrade the '18 infotainment system to '19-20 models. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like that is the major differences between the '18 model to present. This info would really help bc the car is rare enough as it is but there are more '18s out there in other colors than the red that I can't stand for sale.

50Joe

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
My 2019 Essence last had the software updated January 21, 2020. Only the FM stationed greyed out on me. The XM stations never did. The paperwork on my receipt says update to 22.9. I just checked my car and it says 21.1 so it appears they did not update my car while it was in there. Since last January I've had the FM only stations grey out on me twice. I just unfavorited them and re-saved them back in. So, can someone clarify what the very latest software version is please? And, will it solve my problem.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Hopefully I'm in the right forum for this but just had a quick question. Im interested in getting an '18-20 GS. Preferably '19-20 because of the new head unit, not sure if the head unit is actually new or if it's just running new software. But, wanted to know if anyone is aware that you can upgrade the '18 infotainment system to '19-20 models. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like that is the major differences between the '18 model to present. This info would really help bc the car is rare enough as it is but there are more '18s out there in other colors than the red that I can't stand for sale.
It depends on which infotainment system it has.
If it has the QNX based one like the picture below, it cannot be swapped to the newer Android based one.
1609567276691.png

If it has the Android based one like the picture below, it has the same kind of infotainment as the 2019 and 2020.
1609567360029.png

Tedjs

Cleveland, OH
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Tourx
So, can someone clarify what the very latest software version is please? And, will it solve my problem.

The latest software update was introduced in the summer of 2020 so if you go to your dealer, they should be able to accommodate you as that fixes most problems.

And FYI - there is no way to know the latest software by looking at the screens posted. A dealer technician would have to access service programming system and check for USB updates. OTA updates don't always update as many of us know and even those don't include the latest software.

Bulletin #19-NA-249 fixes "most" problems although I notice that my maps glitches occasionally after this update. It's noticeable as the vehicle speed on the DIC doesn't update when this happens. It seems to happen after the radio checks for over the air updates after a vehicle restart. I'm going to disable and see if that fixes as it's a very intermittent issue. Radio takes longer to boot after it checks this as well.

Again, taking it to the dealer is the only way to know. Posting these screen grabs isn't a useful tool to see the latest update is applied.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
The latest software update was introduced in the summer of 2020 so if you go to your dealer, they should be able to accommodate you as that fixes most problems.

And FYI - there is no way to know the latest software by looking at the screens posted. A dealer technician would have to access service programming system and check for USB updates. OTA updates don't always update as many of us know and even those don't include the latest software.

Bulletin #19-NA-249 fixes "most" problems although I notice that my maps glitches occasionally after this update. It's noticeable as the vehicle speed on the DIC doesn't update when this happens. It seems to happen after the radio checks for over the air updates after a vehicle restart. I'm going to disable and see if that fixes as it's a very intermittent issue. Radio takes longer to boot after it checks this as well.

Again, taking it to the dealer is the only way to know. Posting these screen grabs isn't a useful tool to see the latest update is applied.
To date, for those of us with Android UI (as pictured above by D2R) our car cannot be updated OTA, at least by us. Has to be done at dealer. Not sure what you're basing your comment on, but with each update applied, I could look at my radio settings to see what version it was, and dealer concurred each time (Dealer has now completed two updates since I bought my car two years ago). Currently on 22.10 in my car, as of June 2020.

EDIT: But perhaps you meant there is no way of knowing GM's latest software update release by looking at our Settings screens? If that's the case, yeah that is certainly possible...apparently it's a big ask for GM to make their dealers and customers aware of when they push out an infotainment update. I had to regularly search the web to ferret this out; neither GM nor my dealer informed me of 22.10 even though I'd been in close touch with both entities for several months about infotainment problems, had a case# and had last spoken with them [I'm guessing it was] 3-4 weeks before I found out about 22.10 on my own.

Last edited:

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Anyone figure out how to "reboot" the system without waiting for the car to die out when shut off? Used to be Home and fast forward bottoms I believe, but they are not anymore.

Tedjs

Cleveland, OH
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Tourx
EDIT: But perhaps you meant there is no way of knowing GM's latest software update release by looking at our Settings screens? If that's the case, yeah that is certainly possible...apparently it's a big ask for GM to make their dealers and customers aware of when they push out an infotainment update. I had to regularly search the web to ferret this out; neither GM nor my dealer informed me of 22.10 even though I'd been in close touch with both entities for several months about infotainment problems, had a case# and had last spoken with them [I'm guessing it was] 3-4 weeks before I found out about 22.10 on my own.

Correct. Service programing system is the only way to know if your radio has the latest software update. I'll post a screen shot what I get back to work.

buickbox

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X Preferred
I got the 22.10 update by SPS and backed up the USB update files.
Is that vehicle specific?
Anyway, it's here.

Warning: I'm not responsible for any damages caused. Format you usb drive with FAT32 and copy all files in the folder to the root of the drive.
Plug into your vehicle in park and follow the onscreen instruction.
(It may or may not work since I don't know if the update is locked to one vehicle, but I don't think they will do that...)

I also noticed that, after updating to 22.10 from 22.9, you can no longer use ADB to install any custom android app by enabling USB debugging in developer menu
(To enable hidden developer menu, click version number in about menu several times)

I have a usb-c to usb-a cable and a laptop with usb-c ports, so I can connect to the center console with ADB through USB connection. GM seems to lock the adb tool down to their GMAuth tools only. Well, the system is still based on Android 5.1.1

Last edited:

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
I was never able to get ADB working in the first place :banghead:. But mine has been upgraded to 22.TEN (and then a bit of graphics work at WAMS) and that upgrade has fixed the 'no device found' USB error. Now if there was only a 'write protect' switch somewhere...

buickbox

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X Preferred
I was never able to get ADB working in the first place :banghead:. But mine has been upgraded to 22.TEN (and then a bit of graphics work at WAMS) and that upgrade has fixed the 'no device found' USB error. Now if there was only a 'write protect' switch somewhere...
Yeah, the adb doesn't always work in previous versions. I installed angry birds, fruit ninja and google maps when I was on 22.9 and now I regret the update to 22.10, since after the update GM locked down adb, and I cannot update/delete these apps anymore...

But still, it feels good knowing that your car has an angry bird inside :)

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!