• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

TSB 19-NA-100 Radio Software Version 22.8 and TSB 19-NA-249 Favorites Grayed Out- Nov 4, 2019

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
If that ever needs repair--would love to see the service request:

"Customer says there is an angry bird stuck in the infotaiment system--possibly nesting."

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So let me ask this. We all know the reverse lines disappear when you go I to reverse too quick after start up, aka the system doesn't get proper boot time. But I finally had mine updated to 22.10, which required a radio module replacement for no communication error codes on the can bus and cause door lock issues....but it takes way longer to boot now. I can wait 15 seconds before going into reverse, the line are there for a few seconds, the screen flickers and they disappear. Anyone else having the issue? Mine reports 22.1, software date is March 22, 2020 I think it was. They told me it is updated with the latest firmware....but I can't believe this bug would be made worse.

I did start using profiles, I dunno if that's messing with it. But it's definitely got other bugs. If the reverse lines disappear and I go back to park and hit the home button it will say tuner not available, and while it's playing music, I can't change the station or anything, it's pretty un responsive...

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Every now and then I wish I had the updated cluster but everytime I read threads like this I am happy with my red needle UI. I rarely have any issues, but I had big problems with my wife's Ford so I feel for you.

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
A few weeks ago, I had the software update done during routine service. Didn’t help; the symptoms persisted, and I took it as a sign that if this was the worst thing the car has had (and it is), I should just live with it. A few days later, my SA called and asked me if he could have the car back, as GM told him to look for a “code“ in the system. If there was a code, they’d have to do another update. Apparently there was. It took almost 3 hours, but since I got the car back, everything is working as expected. I couldn’t get him to give details about the fix, other than the update they did worked this time.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
A few weeks ago, I had the software update done during routine service. Didn’t help; the symptoms persisted, and I took it as a sign that if this was the worst thing the car has had (and it is), I should just live with it. A few days later, my SA called and asked me if he could have the car back, as GM told him to look for a “code“ in the system. If there was a code, they’d have to do another update. Apparently there was. It took almost 3 hours, but since I got the car back, everything is working as expected. I couldn’t get him to give details about the fix, other than the update they did worked this time.
What issues were you having? I have to bring the car back for them to replace the touch screen and vents the scratched badly when the radio was replaced, the boot time and the way the system lags so badly in the first 30 seconds of operation is pretty unacceptable to me. Makes me feel like GM almost gives special attention to problematic units and gives them certain software upgrades...I dunno. I can only hope one day they get the software right. I mean I'd the can make it work In an off the shelf headunit why can't any of these auto manufactures make it work...

JoeBlog

Buick Owner
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
What issues were you having? I have to bring the car back for them to replace the touch screen and vents the scratched badly when the radio was replaced, the boot time and the way the system lags so badly in the first 30 seconds of operation is pretty unacceptable to me. Makes me feel like GM almost gives special attention to problematic units and gives them certain software upgrades...I dunno. I can only hope one day they get the software right. I mean I'd the can make it work In an off the shelf headunit why can't any of these auto manufactures make it work...
I was having what everyone else was; dropped red lines and fisheye images. My radio presets and Bluetooth still worked; the only problem was when the car was in reverse. I wish I could’ve got the SA to give more details as to what they did.

ascii42

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I got the 22.10 update by SPS and backed up the USB update files.
Is that vehicle specific?
Anyway, it's here.

Warning: I'm not responsible for any damages caused. Format you usb drive with FAT32 and copy all files in the folder to the root of the drive.
Plug into your vehicle in park and follow the onscreen instruction.
(It may or may not work since I don't know if the update is locked to one vehicle, but I don't think they will do that...)

I also noticed that, after updating to 22.10 from 22.9, you can no longer use ADB to install any custom android app by enabling USB debugging in developer menu
(To enable hidden developer menu, click version number in about menu several times)

I have a usb-c to usb-a cable and a laptop with usb-c ports, so I can connect to the center console with ADB through USB connection. GM seems to lock the adb tool down to their GMAuth tools only. Well, the system is still based on Android 5.1.1
I took mine to the dealer on Friday and stated that I had the issues of the reverse lines disappearing and the clock in the DIC being wrong. They weren't able to replicate the reverse line issue and "fixed" the clock by setting it to not display :rolleyes:, so they didn't try installing the update. I downloaded your files, put them on a USB stick, and it worked just like you said. Thank you.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I took mine to the dealer on Friday and stated that I had the issues of the reverse lines disappearing and the clock in the DIC being wrong. They weren't able to replicate the reverse line issue and "fixed" the clock by setting it to not display :rolleyes:, so they didn't try installing the update. I downloaded your files, put them on a USB stick, and it worked just like you said. Thank you.
To verify again 22.1 is 22.10? I've still got disappearing reverse lines. Also noticed not if I use Android auto it tends to make the volume sometimes limit. The volume goes down pretty low and it won't get louder even thought the volume bar increases with the control. I can turn it down, but it's max volume will be super low. I don't wanna go back to the dealer again and have them take more things apart to damage em...but I'm pretty sure I have that 22.10 update if 22.1 is actually it

buickbox

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X Preferred
To verify again 22.1 is 22.10? I've still got disappearing reverse lines. Also noticed not if I use Android auto it tends to make the volume sometimes limit. The volume goes down pretty low and it won't get louder even thought the volume bar increases with the control. I can turn it down, but it's max volume will be super low. I don't wanna go back to the dealer again and have them take more things apart to damage em...but I'm pretty sure I have that 22.10 update if 22.1 is actually it
If you're not sure you can always try download the update in the forum. If there is no prompt for you to update, the you are on the latest version.
For the sound problem I have it as well, it seems the problem will go away once a navigation sound is played (like google map)

ascii42

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
If you tap on the (i) next to where it says 22.1, you should see more version information and it'll show 22.10 there.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
The GM-Techlink site has an article which explains (sort-of) how this is supposed to work:

"How do you know if the infotainment system has the latest software? Simply selecting Updates in the Settings menu on the infotainment screen does not confirm that the software is current. Unlike a mobile device such as a smartphone, the infotainment system does not look at the current version of software and go online to check for available updates.

The Update menu on the infotainment screen (Fig. 2) is only used for locating an Over-the-Air (OTA) update that has already been pushed to the vehicle, downloaded, and is waiting for user acceptance in order to be installed."

Full article here:

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
22.1 (22.10) fixed the presets problem but didn’t fix the reverse lines on mine. Annoying but They work fine if I give it time to fully boot up.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
22.1 (22.10) fixed the presets problem but didn’t fix the reverse lines on mine. Annoying but They work fine if I give it time to fully boot up.
Exactly..22.1 is technically 22.10, and same...even after 15 sec the radio hasn't finished booting yet sometimes. Boot time is completely inconsistent. And to top it off, half the time I'll get tuner unavailable, even though it's playing the radio. However I can't select a radio preset or change the station, this would be am/fm, not satalite. For the issues it fixed it added more. I don't get why they arnt on top of this more...all these cars now infotainment is the biggest joke

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
While I've for the most part enjoyed owning my "18 Essence, I have absolutely given up on trying to get the radio system to work correctly. Already went thru several diagnostic/software updates, and nothing the tech's do get things sorted to the point where it works as I think it was designed to. The last update they performed eliminated the grayed out favorites issue, slightly improved performance of the back-up guidance line feature, enabled the speed limit sign, but completely screwed up android auto to the point where it connects/functions if I pray really hard. I now also get a "missing memory card" message a few times a week.
Last night was the final straw...I attempted to use the internal Nav system, and it failed to load. First time for this failure mode. Who knows what will happen next week.
I'm not tempting fate again by bringing it to the dealer attempt a fix, they will probably make things worse. Not blaming the technicians, as I feel they are being presented with a crap system along with confusing diagnostic SOP's to follow.
Just my humble opinion.

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
The GM-Techlink site has an article which explains (sort-of) how this is supposed to work:

Full article here:

Thanks for sharing.
My head is still spinning after reading the article. Particularly amused by one of the comments at the end of the article:

"The radio remaining on for several minutes after turning off the ignition and opening the door is an indicator that an OTA update is pending installation. There are approximately 70 criteria that must be met to allow an OTA update installation to begin. If conditions are not ideal, then one or more criteria has not yet been met. Updating the module through Techline Connect could take the place of an OTA update that has not met all criteria to allow installation, but only if the correct module is updated. Keep in mind that the radio is acting as a User Interface for all modules that could receive an OTA update; therefore, the radio may not be the module waiting for the update to install. In this situation, updating the radio will not make any change in the radio’s power-moding operation for this vehicle. No components should be replaced. The vehicle may be driven until all conditions are satisfied to complete the OTA update."

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I can name one, if there are current DTC on the vehicle.
Actually, make it two, if the battery charge is too low.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So I started really paying attention and mine does fisheye. I'm gonna have to get on the dealer again and have em push on GM to get a solution

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
...Last night was the final straw...I attempted to use the internal Nav system, and it failed to load. First time for this failure mode. Who knows what will happen next week.
I'm not tempting fate again by bringing it to the dealer attempt a fix, they will probably make things worse. Not blaming the technicians, as I feel they are being presented with a crap system along with confusing diagnostic SOP's to follow.
Just my humble opinion.
The gremlins have retreated. My nav system came back to life about 20 minutes into a drive this morning.
Whatever...
Queue up the next failure mode please.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
I got the 22.10 update by SPS and backed up the USB update files.
Is that vehicle specific?
Anyway, it's here.

Warning: I'm not responsible for any damages caused. Format you usb drive with FAT32 and copy all files in the folder to the root of the drive.
Plug into your vehicle in park and follow the onscreen instruction.
(It may or may not work since I don't know if the update is locked to one vehicle, but I don't think they will do that...)

I also noticed that, after updating to 22.10 from 22.9, you can no longer use ADB to install any custom android app by enabling USB debugging in developer menu
(To enable hidden developer menu, click version number in about menu several times)

I have a usb-c to usb-a cable and a laptop with usb-c ports, so I can connect to the center console with ADB through USB connection. GM seems to lock the adb tool down to their GMAuth tools only. Well, the system is still based on Android 5.1.1
My system was updated to 22.9 last year and for the most part it was more reliable than the original version. On occasion I would experience, audio drop outs, difficulty connecting to Apple Carplay, voice activation for Carplay was not reliable ("sorry there was a problem with Apple Carplay") and the native navigation would not load and need to be 'stopped' and restarted.

I followed the instructions from @buickbox and upgraded my system from 22.9 to 22.10 a few days ago. The first time the system rebooted, I was worried because it did not boot up properly - did not connect to my phone, radio stations were not displaying properly, and other weird behavior. I turned off the car, let it sit for about 10 minutes and restarted and everything loaded correctly.

I've only had a few days of experience but so far so good.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!