I Removed the Plastic Cladding Trim on the Tourx

saab93driver

2019 TourX
I don't hate black plastic but if I could have gotten the car without it I probably would have.

Did anyone ever solve the holes in the front bumper issue when decladding besides replacing it with the Sportback bumper?

L J

Regal TourX
I don't hate black plastic but if I could have gotten the car without it I probably would have.

Did anyone ever solve the holes in the front bumper issue when decladding besides replacing it with the Sportback bumper?
If you hate it throw money at it.
Kinda like vain women do with plastic surgery and Botox..... when they get older and do not like how they look.

Rk54Strat

Sustaining Member
TourX
If you hate it throw money at it.
Kinda like vain women do with plastic surgery and Botox..... when they get older and do not like how they look.
Oh you’re a laugh a minute. Keep’em coming.

GMCGuy

1999 Buick Regal LSE, 1968 Buick Skylark Custom "455 GSX", 1965 Buick Special Wagon
The money was wired today & I fly out & drive my TourX home Friday. Evidently just in time.

I'm still interested in removing or disguising the cladding so keep the answers coming about the holes in the front fender trim?

Grab them while you can because the car's history!

CNBC: GM axes Buick Regal as consumer demand continues shift to SUVs, crossovers.

DasWagen

2018 Tour x
The money was wired today & I fly out & drive my TourX home Friday. Evidently just in time.

I'm still interested in removing or disguising the cladding so keep the answers coming about the holes in the front fender trim?

CNBC: GM axes Buick Regal as consumer demand continues shift to SUVs, crossovers.
[/URL]
There's a post on this forum about painting the cladding to match the body color. Looks pretty good IMO.

L J

Regal TourX

CNBC: GM axes Buick Regal as consumer demand continues shift to SUVs, crossovers.n made to
GM should have been made to sell Chevy during bankruptcy, then the other divisions would be thriving.

EchoHeadache

I have made a rudimentary mold for the front wheel arch trim out of sculpey clay and hope to have it scanned this week with 3d scanner.
You actually dropped the money for a scanner? Well I'd love to reap the benefits of that, hoping you upload something we can print!

Zaxer

MKE
2018 Regal TourX
You actually dropped the money for a scanner? Well I'd love to reap the benefits of that, hoping you upload something we can print!
It went sideways on me - the guy who was helping me ghosted - never heard from him again despite my follow ups.

In the meantime I focused my attention on the my two summer cars which are now back in storage...now that winter is in full swing, I’m back to this project. I’m still thinking about a full sport back swap - if I get a year end bonus I will probably just pull the trigger (although parts might be a PITA given the status).

As for wraps - matching paint color can be tricky - haven’t found an “off the shelf“ that matches close enough to Rioja Red (maybe so for other GM colors)..custom color wrap is available, but it’s much more expensive. Plus the trim will need a lot of prep work given the texture.

Wish I had a better solution...

GMCGuy

1999 Buick Regal LSE, 1968 Buick Skylark Custom "455 GSX", 1965 Buick Special Wagon
I expect to enjoy driving this unicorn. I've only seen one other in grey out in the wild of Las Vegas, NV.

Now to declad or leave stock? Anyone have one in white they've stripped & how did you handle the front fender cladding with holes? Anybody paint or wrap cladding? Pics?

20200113_160315.jpg

G-234992

It went sideways on me - the guy who was helping me ghosted - never heard from him again despite my follow ups.

In the meantime I focused my attention on the my two summer cars which are now back in storage...now that winter is in full swing, I’m back to this project. I’m still thinking about a full sport back swap - if I get a year end bonus I will probably just pull the trigger (although parts might be a PITA given the status).

As for wraps - matching paint color can be tricky - haven’t found an “off the shelf“ that matches close enough to Rioja Red (maybe so for other GM colors)..custom color wrap is available, but it’s much more expensive. Plus the trim will need a lot of prep work given the texture.

Wish I had a better solution...
I work for 3M and went and talked to the application guys that train and certify people applying the 3M wrap films. I was told due to plastic off gassing, there is no eay of telling if the wrap on raw plastic will last 2 months or 2 years, but it WILL peel way sooner than it will on a painted surface. I was planning on wrapping my flares but gave up on the idea. I also went to a body shop I trust and they said "thanks but no thanks" when I wanted them to paint the trim. Way tok much work and previous jobs they did had some peeling even after tons of sanding and prep.

Mac-427

2019 TourX
In my opinion the car sans cladding needs a two inch drop front and rear. I really think the cladding is ok on a dark car.

DasWagen

2018 Tour x
Lots of work to declad. I haven't seen a good solution to fill the front holes. There is a pic floating around with the cladding painted...looks good IMO.

Wagon Man

Wagon, soon
Before I bought the wagon, I swore up and down I would remove the cladding: Seeing how much work is involved however, decided to paint the plastic instead,
Now that I had the car for a week, the cladding has grown on me, or become less ugly.
Will talk to a paint shop and get their opinion and their price, but now leaning towards keeping it..:oops:

GMCGuy

Well here's a 2020 Opel Insignia in white testing at Nürburgring. At 1:06 comes what appeared to be a Buick with cladding partially removed. As it turns out, Opel Germany offers the Insignia Wagon in three trim levels for 2020; Sports Tourer, Country Tourer & GSI.

Insignia Country Tourer | Echter Offroader | Opel Deutschland

The Insignia Country Tourer is the Buick TourX with the cladding. Go figure. I'd still like a Sports Tourer or GSI without cladding but that's not going to happen. I'll enjoy my unicorn a figure it out going forward & look forward to following others' stories.

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Before I bought the wagon, I swore up and down I would remove the cladding: Seeing how much work is involved however, decided to paint the plastic instead,
Now that I had the car for a week, the cladding has grown on me, or become less ugly.
Will talk to a paint shop and get their opinion and their price, but now leaning towards keeping it..:oops:
I am with you on this.
Considering the cost, effort required and how long do I stare at those POS on the outside of the vehicle. I am thinking about leaving the tumors alone for a few years.

Turbo Buick Badge